Chapter Seven

"Mr. Wayne, please, take a seat."

Dr. Shorts sat behind a large mahogany desk with various papers strewn across it.

He quickly grabbed at the files, attempting to tidy up. "I'm sorry my office isn't neater; I wasn't expecting any visitors today."

"Thank you for meeting me on such short notice, doctor."

"Please, Mr. Wayne," Dr. Shorts shoved the manilla folders into his desk's drawers. "You may call me Anthony."

Bruce nodded. "Well, I was thinking of your proposition... to expand the relationship between the Wayne Foundation and Gotham General, and I would like to present the idea to the Wayne Foundation's board for clearance as soon as possible."

Dr. Shorts lit up, his lips stretching across his face in a wide smile. "Oh, Mr. Wayne, that is wonderful news. Wonderful, wonderful news. I am so glad I was able to convince you."

Bruce was not going to inform the man he had not been the one to convince him. It had been someone else: someone far more radical in their ideation. Someone who had called Bruce out in a way no one else had before.

"I would just love the perspective of someone who's been directly affected by the Wayne Foundation, you know. I think they could provide valuable insight into what we're doing right and wrong..." He trailed off.

"Dr. Flores!" Dr. Shorts's snapped his finger then pointed at Bruce with his index finger out and thumb up. Then as if he'd just remembered Bruce had been present for the exchange of words between Anya and Dr. Hortence, he assured, "Dr. Flores is a well composed young woman. She's the future of medicine. That... particular outburst was out of character, and I've reprimanded her for it entirely."

Bruce fought a grimace. Anya didn't deserve to be "reprimanded" for defending herself. Though he knew reprimanding Dr. Hortence was surely out of Dr. Shorts's jurisdiction, considering he was not a resident at Gotham General. Dr. Shorts did not seem to be a man of confrontation much to Bruce's disappointment.

"Dr. Flores's reaction has not changed my opinion of her at all." In fact, it had elevated it. "But I would like to start planning what we can present to the board immediately. The Foundation meets every quarter or so to discuss our latest charitable donations."

He silently thanked Alfred for providing him with the information. Alfred was all too pleased, viewing Bruce's sudden interest as a "growing into the role" moment for the Wayne heir.

"Of course." Dr. Shorts turned to his computer. He began typing and clicking away. Finally, he settled on something. He let out a disappointed sigh. "It seems Dr. Flores won't be in until tomorrow morning."

"Oh." Bruce tried to hide his own disappointment.

I'm sure there are other doctors who could be of equal value," Dr. Shorts suggested.

Bruce looked down at his watch, feigning surprise. "Actually, I should get going. I didn't realize what time it was, and I'm sure you have a lot to do. How about we set up a dinner? Friday, 7 o'clock, at The Ocelot. If that works for you both, of course."

Dr. Shorts bobbed his head in agreement. "I will let Dr. Flores know immediately."

***

"Sorry I'm late," Dr. Flores greeted the man.

They stood outside The Ocelot, one of the city's most prestigious restaurants. She'd heard reservations were made months in advance, and she wondered what favors Bruce had pulled to get them in mere days.

Bruce wore his usual black coat, white dress shirt, and black tie. His hair was pushed to one side, an attempt to tame it no doubt.

"No worries."