Chapter Twenty Four

Anya wiped the tears from her cheeks as she entered her apartment.

She didn't know how to feel.

She needed time alone, but then again: she'd rather not dwell on things. Luckily, a residents' work was hardly ever done.

 The hospital needed her, and she needed the distraction.

The window was open, her curtains blowing in the breeze.

She sighed. "I told you, I need time to think. Please." 

She flicked the light switch up, looking expectantly at the man in her kitchen.

But the man sitting in her kitchen wasn't Bruce, the Batman, or whatever other alter ego the billionaire could possibly have.

He wore a a hooded jacket. His face was marred with scars. A smile played on his lips, and he raised an eyebrow.

"You know, you should really fix your window latches. Somebody dangerous could come in."

Anya bolted towards her bedroom, but the man did not immediately react. She slammed it shut, locking it.

She reached under her bed, frantically grabbing the small device. 

She typed the digits in.

She threw the device under the bed as the door fell off its hinge, forward, narrowly missing her.

The man smiled. 

Anya scrambled to her feet, grabbing a decorative paperweight from her nightstand, holding it up like a weapon.

"Aw. That's adorable," he said. "Like a chihuahua who thinks they're a rottweiler."

He jumped forward.

Anya swung, hitting the man across the cheek, but he hardly seemed phased.

A smile danced on his lips.

He slammed her head against the wall, and she slumped to the floor, unconscious.

***

Bruce was in his office. 

His real office.

Alfred had taken to calling it his "cave."

He needed a distraction, and he was throwing himself into his work, trying to trace the Palmero Brothers within the Gotham underworld.

He was listening to police scanners, white noise to relax his nerves, as he picked apart detective notes, making sure their dead ends were really just dead ends.

Alfred entered the room, and Bruce didn't acknowledge him.

He didn't feel like talking.

"Not now Alfred, please."

"Master Wayne, I'd love to leave you be, truly, but I don't know how to make this stop beeping."

Bruce turned quickly, immediately knowing the sound of the pager.

He took the device from Alfred's hand.

The green lit screen said three numbers:

911.