Chapter Three

TWO MONTHS LATER...

"Good morning, Master Wayne."

Bruce groaned as Alfred pulled the curtains open, allowing the bright morning sun to penetrate his slumber.

Bruce moved to cover his face.

Alfred tsked. "Perhaps this will teach you to reel it in early on weekdays, won't it, Master Wayne?"

"Criminals don't just work weekends, Alfred." Bruce retorted.

"Yes, well neither do billionaire philanthropists, and you promised the mayor you would be at the opening of the hospital weeks ago." Alfred pulled the covers off of Bruce's face, fixing him with a stern look. "You know what this hospital will mean to this community."

Bruce looked up at his trusted butler. He'd recovered well after the Riddler's murder attempt...an attempt that hadn't been meant for him.

Bruce still felt a tremendous amount of guilt, though Alfred had told him repeatedly it was not his fault.

The hospital where Alfred had received care, Gotham General, had suffered severe damage during the Riddler's floods.

Bruce had pledged several millions of dollars to the reconstruction of Gotham General as a state-of-the-art hospital.

The mayor had been thrilled. "Finally paying your dues to the city, Mr. Wayne." she'd said.

"I'll be out in a minute, Alfred. Thank you."

Alfred, nodded, then exited the room, satisfied.

***

"Mr. Wayne, I am so glad you could join us," Mayor Real smiled, extending her hand.

Bruce took it, nodding. "Of course."

They were on the side of a makeshift stage in front of Gotham General.

A small harem of reporters was set up, snapping photos of the reclusive, orphaned billionaire who's Daddy was in kahoots with the mob...who's mommy was off her rockers.

Needless to say, the press had a field day dragging the Wayne name through the mud post-Riddler reveal.

"We were thinking we could start out here in front of the press. I'll do my speech, you can say a few words, then one of the hospital's doctors will be leading us on a tour. Does that sound fine?"

Bruce would rather take a kick to the chest from some seven-foot mob goon than have to speak in front of the press, but he wasn't going to tell her that.

He nodded.

"Excellent. Excuse me." Mayor Real rushed off to speak to someone else, and Bruce climbed the steps of the stage to take his seat. He attempted to block out the noise of the reporters talking and the clicking sound of their cameras.

He closed his eyes, hoping to catch even a few minutes of peace, but frankly, he should be so lucky.

He heard the feedback from the mic not even a minute later, followed by Mayor Real's speech.

It was a wonderful speech. He could not imagine adding anything of substance to the conversation, but when Mayor Real announced, "Now some words from Mr. Bruce Wayne," he walked slowly to the stand.

"I am so pleased to help in the healing of Gotham. The Wayne Foundation is determined to help rebuild this city. Thank you." He stepped away from the mic.

Mayor Real returned to the podium. "Thank you, Mr. Wayne."

Bruce took his seat to scattered, somewhat confused, applause.