Chapter Six

He'd been distracted.

While crime was never in short supply in Gotham City, these past few nights had been rather quiet.

For the past week or so, he'd only thought of Anya, and frankly, it was becoming annoying.

He welcomed the bright, shining light, a bat projected in the middle. A perfect distraction from his own pathetic swooning.

"Commissioner," The Batman nodded, joining Gordon on the roof of the police station.

Gordon gave the man a once over. "I was wondering if you've heard from our... Friend."

Bruce had avoided informing the commissioner (and Alfred) of the full extent of "the incident".

All the two men knew was that Bruce had been attacked by a man too strong to be human.

Bruce wasn't invincible, he knew as much, but he'd never experienced something quite like that night. Never had somebody had the power to completely debilitate him, and when he wasn't wrapped up in thoughts of the woman who had saved him from uncertain fate, he was plagued with theories and explanations on who the man could be.

The night had started like many others: Bruce had been patrolling the city when he'd seen it.

The major bank in Gotham, Gotham United, prided itself in its top-notch security, which true to its word, seemed to be the best. While Bruce had often found himself on the scenes of other bank robberies, he'd never been to a scene at Gotham United.

However, the figure hanging off the top of the bank's dome shaped roof could not be ignored. Bruce watched from a neighboring building, camouflage in the dark, as the figure took out a sharp box-cutter like device.

It sliced through the glass with ease. The robber punched the cut-out glass and it toppled to the floor inside the bank.

He expected sirens, but there was no noise: only the rushing wind.

Bruce waited until the figure disappeared into the bank before making his own move.

He landed on the dome with a soft thud.

Bruce reached into his utility belt. He attached a large carabiner and retractable rope to one of the metal beams lining the now exposed part of the ceiling and lowered himself into the bank.

. The glass crunched beneath his feet.

The sound of approaching footsteps alerted the Batman, and he hurried to hide behind the bank teller desk.

"We're going to be so rich." A voice said, radiating nervous excitement.

"I'm buying a yacht first thing tomorrow." Another joined in. "What about you, Big Guy?"

Silence.

Footsteps became distant, so Bruce assumed the other man had walked past the two.

"Not much of a talker that guy." The first voice muttered. "He should loosen up a bit. He's too serious."

"Probably why the Boss got 'em. He's our Achilles, and Gotham's our Troy."

"Who?"

"The first thing you should buy with your cut is a fucking book, bro."

Bruce waited for the bickering to become a faint echo before following them.

He was deep into the center of the bank, rounding a corner, when it happened.

One minute he was carefully maneuvering, hiding in the shadows, when the shadows fought back.

The air was knocked out of his lungs as a punch connected with his stomach. He flew back landing on the floor, palms behind him.