Chapter 3: Wheels Are Turning

It wasn't a large room by some standards, but was finely acquitted with ornately patterned carpets and wallpaper, all in soft spring colors.

Above the fireplace hung a large portrait of the family that Ardel had commissioned after one unusually bountiful harvest.

Pairs of matched chairs with tables between were arranged in groups around the room, a porcelain vase overflowing with cut flowers on every table.

On the outside wall, a picture window draped in fringed damask and lace overlooked Lenna's rose garden. A small table with four tapestry upholstered chairs sat in front of the window.

Mistress Amelys occupied a chair nearest the window, her severe black traveling dress an arresting contrast to the pastels and ivories of the room.

Even at her advanced age, she was still a striking beauty. Despite her white hair, now lit like a halo about her head where the afternoon sun streamed in through the window, her blue eyes were bright and piercing, the skin on her face clear, the creamy color of fine porcelain and stretched taut over sharp cheekbones, only the finest of lines around her eyes.

The lifetime development of one's ethereal energy would tend to slow aging, and it was impossible to tell from appearance how old Mistress Amelys actually was.

Serenity was one thing the years had most assuredly granted her, though. Mistress Amelys was not as easy as others for Kazia to read, keeping even her internal disposition well tempered.

If only more people were able to manage that.

A sense of serious business emanated from her nonetheless, but as Kazia neared she smiled and began to rise on an elaborately carved ebony cane.

"Oh, no, Mistress," Kazia said. "You needn't rise for me. Please sit."

"Ah!" Amelys replied. "I've been sitting all day, in the carriage and now here. Let me stretch my knees a moment."

Kazia smiled as her mentor embraced her gently and kissed each of her cheeks in turn. Studying Kazia's face intently, Amelys patted one cheek and then rubbed a thumb across it.

"You've been hard at work I see," she said. "I'm sorry to interrupt."

"The most pleasant interruption, I assure you."

"Come, Kazia. I'm sure you've read the air. But sit. Have some tea. Eat something. These scones are quite delicious. Does Mrs. Gewalt bake them herself?"

"She does. Yes, she is quite an accomplished baker."

Kazia took the other chair near the window and poured herself a cup of tea as Amelys resettled herself.

"Mercenaries have been raiding Caedran border towns," Amelys said. Straight to business was her way. "Valesk denies it, but they are certainly behind the actions. They are looking for you."

"They can't know that I'm here, surely," Kazia said, trying her best to sound dismissive. She stirred a bit of sugar into her cup.

"You know the quality of their intelligence. They know that you're in a village somewhere, and they seem determined to check every one. It's time, Kazia."

Kazia dropped her spoon and turned her face away from Amelys.

She could feel her mentor's anticipation. Amelys would afford her some patience, but only so much, Kazia knew. She looked sadly at the portrait of the Gewalt family. They had been so good to her. Not many had been.

"They are in danger," Amelys said. "The Gewalts, all of the farmers, all of the villagers. I know you don't want that. If you come to the castle, we can feed Valesk that information and they'll know they can't get to you. They'll stop these raids."