Chapter 18: House of Stelenis

The next evening found Kazia in a carriage with Amelys, Kelvaran, and Tamyn, heading into the city while regretting her own existence.

She had stayed in bed all day, wracked with headache and nausea. Brandra had given her a remedy, and while she did feel somewhat more functional now, she would nonetheless rather still be in bed.

But, Kelvaran was giving another lecture at the University tonight, and Tamyn had taken the opportunity to make an evening of it, reserving a table for them all at House of Stelenis, a Thalesian restaurant near the University.

He had been so pleased with the prospect of introducing Kazia to his native country's cuisine that she didn't have the heart to cancel. As they set out, though, it seemed that everyone would rather have canceled.

Four people sat in ponderous silence within the carriage as it made its way off of the island.

Although they were accompanied by armed guards, Amelys was anxious about letting Kazia and Kelvaran out during ongoing negotiations with Valesk. Once the carriage passed through the last gate, she went on high alert, repeatedly peeking through the curtained window restlessly.

Although Tamyn sat in his usual elegant placidity, he was full of apprehension. He had said nothing to Kazia, but she was sure that he had to have heard something of Abrizhen's outburst yesterday. She wondered, if she could find a quiet moment with him, should she just talk to him about all of this? Was there any way to do so tactfully?

Kelvaran seemed the only one of them in a good mood. He wavered between the excitement of his impending lecture and an almost cruel, at least decidedly not good-natured, mocking humor aimed at Kazia.

She just closed her eyes, doing her best to shut everyone out.

"Are you well today, Lady Kazia?" Tamyn finally broke the silence. "Perhaps you should have stayed in tonight."

Kelvaran's internal laughter was scalding. Kazia shot him a glare, which only made it worse. Looking carefully at Kelvaran, she could see him schooling his face out of an open smirk.

"I'm well, thank you," she replied to Tamyn. "And why not come out? I can't hide in my apartment forever. And what is there to hide from anyway?"

Amelys and Kelvaran both cleared their throats at the same time, each voicing an entirely different disagreement.

Tamyn's eyes drifted slowly away from Kazia as his face set again into determined stillness, and the carriage fell into uncomfortable silence once again.

The lecture took place earlier in the evening than the last one had. At its conclusion, Sir Palenaida joined their company and Tamyn led the short walk to the restaurant.

It was situated in a street lined with shops, all still open now, the area brightly lit and bustling with University students enjoying the night.

The front of the restaurant was hung with colorful lanterns, and as the door opened they were met with the warm and delicious aromas of bread and spices.

Their escort of guards posted themselves outside as the group entered the lively building.

The dining room inside House of Stelenis was both welcoming and luxurious. The tables were set into alcoves along the walls, each hung with sheer and sparkling draperies tied back with silk tassels, the wall inside each alcove painted with a colorful mural showing a figure from Thalesian history, or a famous place in the Thalesian landscape.

There were benches cushioned in fine damask around the alcove side of each table, and beautifully carved chairs on the aisle side.

The floor and ceiling were both covered in ornately patterned tiles, and glass mosaic lanterns swung overhead.