Chapter 39: Good Friends ~ pt. 2

Upon reaching the infirmary, they were asked to wait while a nurse went to inquire if Eaphan would receive them. She returned a few moments later and showed them to a door.

"Do try not to overtax him," the nurse said. "We'll need to get him to sleep soon."

"Of course," Kazia said.

There was a little chair in the hall outside the door, and Brandra sat down.

"I'll just wait out here, dear," she said, "but tell him we're all thinking of him."

"Thank you, Madame Brandra," Kazia said.

She opened the door slowly.

"Eaphan?" she called quietly as she entered.

The room was dimly lit for the evening, and what little light there was fell upon Eaphan's still form in the bed. Three of his limbs were wrapped in plaster casts. There were bandages about his head, and his face was a mess of cuts and bruises.

She could feel his pain where she stood.

"Kazia," he whispered. "I am so happy that you're well."

He seemed to struggle for breath, and tears sprang into Kazia's eyes. She sat in a chair at his bedside and took his one good hand in both of hers.

"Oh, Eaphan," she said, choking her tears back. "They said it was bad, but..."

"Shhh," he said. "I have no wish to see you weep for me... Kazia." He pulled in a ragged breath. "We are both alive. Be happy."

"You needn't speak if it's too difficult," Kazia told him.

"I am so sorry," he said. "If I hadn't invited you... I brought you into danger."

"Nonsense. This was not your fault. No one could have foreseen this."

"Still," he whispered, "I imagine that the experiment... will not be repeated."

Kazia just gazed sadly at him, unsure how to answer this.

"It's alright," Eaphan said.

He lay still for a long moment to take his breath slowly and as deeply as he could manage.

"I would have you know," he said finally, "many would say that they have a... difficult rapport with Kel... but I have known him only to be kind and generous... a good friend and colleague."

"Eaphan-"

"I hope that when you and I meet again... it might be as good friends... and colleagues."

"Of course," Kazia said, nodding. "Of course, Eaphan."

"You must go rest," he said then, and she laughed.

She raised his hand and pressed it to her lips.

He smiled a little through cracked lips, and Kazia could see how tired he was.

"Good night, Eaphan," she said. "I will come again, tomorrow if I can."

He nodded, but she could see that he was drifting into sleep.

Kazia waited until she reached the hallway again to weep into Brandra's shoulder.

~~~*~~~

Tamyn stood in the hallway on the second floor of the House of Stelenis, at the door of the last room, all the way at the end.

The hall was silent as death. None of the other rooms were occupied tonight. There had been very few patrons in the restaurant downstairs, and the staff had been busying themselves with taking down the Solstice decorations.