Chapter 6: Don't You Look Lovely?

"There you are!" came Madame Brandra's voice from behind her.

Kazia turned to see Brandra struggling to keep her parasol above her head with one hand while lifting her skirts in the other as she trod across the cropped grass. Kelvaran came behind her, clearly impatient with Brandra's slow pace.

"Oh, Kazia, don't you look lovely today! Mistress, doesn't she look lovely?"

To Kazia's surprise, she felt a fleeting agreement with Madame Brandra from Kelvaran, before he brushed the sentiment aside and returned to his gloom. She risked a glance at him, but he was looking away now, his attention on a young man who walked on his hands while shaking his belled feet in the air.

"And how are you feeling today, dear?" Brandra continued. "All better?"

"Yes, thank you, Madame Brandra," Kazia answered. "I am quite well today."

"Shall we?" Amelys said, pointing her cane toward the fair.

"Oh, yes," said Brandra. "Something smells delicious over there and I wouldn't mind investigating."

Together they perused the rows of brightly colored tents and booths, sampling local culinary specialties and admiring the work of village artisans. Brandra purchased a bolt of handwoven cloth, which she handed off to an irked Kelvaran to carry, and Kazia and Amelys each chose a matched collar and cuff set from a lace maker.

They stopped to watch a troupe of young girls perform the ribbon dance, Neiphi among them. The dance was based on a very old fertility ritual, but since the Great War it had been altered, now symbolizing the twining together of the Five Nations.

As the dance ended, Kazia added her applause to that of the crowd gathered around. She saw Neiphi spot her and the girl's face beamed. Neiphi ran full tilt toward her, but she stopped short and looked at the ground demurely.

"Mistress, you came," Neiphi panted while giving Kazia a deep curtsy. "I am so pleased."

"What is this formality?" Kazia said. "Have you been replaced by a changeling?"

Neiphi began to laugh, but then minded herself quickly.

"Mother told me-"

"Oh, I see, say no more," Kazia interrupted. She narrowed her eyes at the girl, a sly half-smile on her lips. "Well, I suppose it won't hurt you to learn some manners. You acquitted yourself very well in the dance, by the way, and your new dress is indeed very pretty."

Neiphi beamed again and began fluffing the ruffles on her yellow skirt.

Kazia turned back to her company and rested her hand on Neiphi's shoulder.

"Mistress, may I present my student, Neiphi Gewalt?" she said. "Neiphi, this is Lady Amelys Thanelin of Loranar, Mistress of Alchemy to Queen Inaissa of Caedra, Lord Kelvaran Meratha of Valesk, and Madame Brandra Giris, Secretary to Mistress Thanelin."

Neiphi curtsied again.

"How do you do? I am so very pleased to make your acquaintance," she said in practiced recitation.

"And I yours, Miss Gewalt," Amelys replied. "Tell me, do you make as much trouble for Lady Kazia as she did for me?"

Neiphi's face flushed red and she opened her mouth, but only managed a few stammered syllables.

"Good," Amelys said. "It is a fine thing to see justice served."

She winked at Kazia, who was going a bit pink in the cheeks herself.

"Mistress, may I be excused?" Neiphi said to Kazia. "Only now that the dance is done, Mother will want my help at home."

"We'll drive you," Amelys said, looking to each of the company in turn. Kelvaran scowled, but Amelys waved a dismissive hand at him. "Well have lunch with the Gewalts and make our goodbyes now so we can get an early start in the morning."