Chapter 38: Good Friends ~ pt. 1

Kazia sat in a chair at her bedroom window, where she had a view of the bailey and part of the city beyond the castle walls. Kelvaran's transmitter occupied a table beside her chair, with a new battery he had sent in case the other was depleting.

She had tested the Artifact these past several days by having Neiphi roam the castle grounds with the watch, while Kazia listened from here. It was certainly working now, although Kazia hadn't done anything to it since adding her own blood into the potion.

The Solstice had passed with none of the usual celebration, but the sun still set quite early, and lights were blinking on in the streets and houses scattered up the hills along the river valley. Kazia watched them, trying to imagine the lives of the people who lived there, the ordinary citizens of Elisaen.

It was a city on edge now, according to what news had come to her.

Several of Elisaen's wealthy business class had been killed in the explosion. It was putting a hardship on many people, as shops and factories were closed until wills and successions could be sorted.

Queen Inaissa was providing aid to those out of work, but nothing could help the people's fear of more violence to come.

Kazia looked across the bailey to the infirmary building as a man emerged and entered a grand carriage parked there.

"Oh, I think that's Sir Palanaida's brother, the Duke," Brandra said, peering over Kazia's shoulder. "Very good of the Queen to admit him while the castle is locked down."

"I should go see him," Kazia said. "If he's fit for visitors now, I would go."

"You'll go when you're well," Brandra said.

"Madame Brandra, I feel much better, and I have read all the books I can stand for now. The walk will do me good."

"All the stairs?"

"If I take them slowly." Kazia stood. "I'm determined, Madame Brandra. I will go now before the evening wears on. Will you help me or shall I take all the stairs alone?"

Brandra glared at Kazia, then began to examine the side of her head.

"You see," Kazia said. "It doesn't even hurt if you touch it now."

"Alright, let's get you dressed," Brandra conceded. "But no corset, you don't need to be squeezed just now. We'll put your overcoat on you, no one will see."

"I should get some Caedran dresses," Kazia mused. "They seem so comfortable."

"Oh, you would look lovely, yes," Brandra agreed.

She helped Kazia on with a skirt and blouse, boots, and her coat.

As they left Kazia's rooms, though, they opened the door to Edwis, just about to knock, and Kelvaran standing in the hallway behind him.

"Lady Devratha, are you going out?" Edwis asked cheerfully, giving her a small bow. "I'm happy to see you recovered!"

"Thank you, Edwis," Kazia answered. "I am feeling much better. How can I help?"

"We've come to take the transmitter over to intelligence headquarters. Mistress Thanelin did say that it seems ready?"

"It does seem so," Kazia agreed. "And I suppose I should be glad to see the back of it at long last. Do you need me to stay or can you manage? Only I'm going to the infirmary to see Sir Palanaida."

She glanced at Kelvaran, who still stood back in the hallway.

His mood was strange tonight, a mixture of despondent sadness, agitation, ardent resolve, and when he looked at Kazia, relief, but also a chilly sense of distance. He looked away from her with an odd expression.