Chapter 29: Only a Dream

The heat was unbearable. Flames crept along the walls, melting the paste behind the wallpaper, which curled down in sheets, then caught fire and were burned away, leaving clouds of ash to swirl through the oppressive air.

Where was everyone?

The smoke had forced him to the ground, to the ever-narrowing pocket of breathable air there. He coughed as he crawled along the hallway, hands and knees burning against the carpet as he went.

Every room he passed held a raging inferno. A sound of shattering glass came from overhead, and his skin was stung as fragments littered the carpet around him, but still he crawled forward.

Ahead... ahead should be the parlor. Would anyone be there?

His breathing slowed. His lungs must work too hard in this hot, smoke-filled air. It was exhausting.

He had almost made it to the parlor. He could rest just for a moment. That would be alright. Only for a moment.

He lay down on the floor and curled himself into a ball.

But what was that sound now?

It barely sounded human, this harrowing screech that seemed to go on forever.

He tried to pull himself up again.

Was that a person? Where were they?

The smoke had become too thick to even see just ahead of him, let alone as far as that ghastly scream.

Another crash, and there were hands on him, pulling him up, an arm around him dragging him away.

He was suddenly awash in cold, thrown, and now face down in deep snow.

No, he couldn't leave, could he? He had to help. Someone needed him.

Someone needed his help.

Kelvaran sat up in the unfamiliar bed, pushing the blankets away. He was drenched in sweat and gasping for air. There was no light at all, and he couldn't remember where he was just now.

Somewhere, the screaming continued.

He waved a hand and a lamp lit itself.

Jumping out of bed, he grabbed the long dagger out of his boot on the floor and ran into the hallway toward the sound. Three doors down, he burst into another pitch-black room.

The screaming had stopped, and through the darkness came the sound of Kazia's voice.

"I am safe now," she whispered. "I am safe now, I am safe now, I am safe now..."

Kelvaran waved a hand and lit the bedside lamp.

Kazia appeared in the pool of warm light, sitting up in bed and hugging her knees to her chest, her hair unbound and falling in a tangled mess over her arms, rocking herself and chanting this reassurance.

Kelvaran immediately recognized it as one of Mistress Amelys' techniques.

Still on high alert, he surveyed the room but saw nothing else amiss.

Kazia did not seem to notice that he'd come in, or that he'd lit the lamp. She only stared at the bed in front of her, the whispering unceasing.

Kelvaran breathed deeply and released his tension.

"Lady Devratha?" he said gently.

She gave no response, so he approached.

"Lady... Kazia?"