Chapter 22: Truth ~ pt. 1

The library was indeed massive, comprising three floors of the central tower. Entering the main lobby, Kazia marveled as she made her way slowly to the desk where the Librarian sat.

The ceilings were high and vaulted, with carvings in the stone of flowers and the faces of creatures. A broad staircase at the back of the room led up to the higher floors.

The shelves on the walls were at least four human heights tall, and there were staircases on tracks with wheels that could be moved along the wall to reach the higher books.

So many books there were, as well, and this was only the first floor of them.

"Good evening, Lady Devratha, welcome," said the Librarian as she approached his desk. "I am Mister Cardil, and it is a pleasure to finally meet you. Anything I can help you find?"

He was a bright-natured little man, of Derician descent perhaps, going by his pale skin and rosy cheeks, but he spoke with an unusual accent that Kazia couldn't place.

"I am very pleased to meet you as well, Mister Cardil," she answered. "Yes, thank you, I am looking for information on sound - on the traveling of sound to be exact."

"That will be on the second floor," he said. "Just this way, if you will follow me."

He led her up the staircase and to the far wall of the second floor.

"Just there," he indicated a high shelf as he pulled a staircase over. "Let me just check something though."

He locked the staircase into place, and climbed up.

"As I thought, there are several of the best ones out. I believe Lord Meratha has them."

"Not surprising," Kazia called up to him as he descended. "This is for an Artifact of his making after all. He probably took them out for his own initial research."

"Yes, I would think so," said Mister Cardil as he reached the floor again. "A curious subject, sound. Lord Meratha has invented a number of rather ingenious devices. I can't say he's the friendliest fellow, but I'm always wondering what he'll come up with next."

"Well we won't add this one to his number of ingenious devices," Kazia told him, "unless I can get it to work properly."

"Passed one on to you, has he? What sort of device could he not manage?"

"A very elaborate boat anchor, if you ask me."

"He did seem to have moved off this subject. I think he must be working on something very interesting now, judging from the sort of books he's been taking out."

"What sorts of things?" Kazia asked, her curiosity piqued.

"Oh, a lot of deep science. Electricity, astronomy... he's clever enough that if he's looking to the stars, perhaps a trip to the moon is in his sights."

"Oh, I don't think that's quite feasible," Kazia laughed.

The man's cheerfulness was infectious.

"Well, you are welcome to those books that are there. And Lord Meratha is in here almost daily. Would you like me to ask after the others when I see him?"

"No, thank you, that won't be necessary," she answered. "I'll just see what I can find in these."

"Very well," he said. "I'll take my leave and you feel free to peruse away."

The Librarian returned to his desk. Kazia tucked the hem of her skirt into her belt, and then carefully climbed the staircase.