Chapter 35: Strange Times Indeed

Kazia rode to the University in the big carriage with a few younger Alchemists, none of her acquaintance, who were also attending.

They only spoke to her to make polite exchanges of greeting, and on arrival at the University, the group of them went their own way, chatting amongst themselves and giving Kazia no further acknowledgment.

While she was never disappointed to avoid interaction, she had hoped that they might make her entrance less conspicuous. As it was, she entered the main building of the University alone and was shown to a reception hall on the ground floor by an attendant.

The hall was of a modest grandeur, an open room with tall windows along one wall, elegantly draped in heavy ivory fabric and festooned with glittering decorations for the upcoming Winter Solstice festival.

There were gas lamps along the walls, but a beautiful old chandelier hung from the ceiling, and its candles had been lit for the occasion. Beneath each gas lamp stood a pedestal holding an exhibit item, each with a small placard on the wall next to it.

Tables covered in white linen were placed throughout the room, some holding bowls of punch and glasses of wine. There was no arranged seating, and the guests mingled freely.

Aside from the few Alchemists in attendance, the other guests appeared to be some of the wealthier denizens of Elisaen, probably donors to the University invited to see the exhibit before it was opened to the public.

Kazia admired the colorful and well-made dresses of the women in styles from all corners of the Five Nations, happy to note that she hadn't gotten the formality of the event wrong.

She could see no one she recognized though. A waiter handed her a glass of wine, and she began to make her way around the perimeter of the hall to view the items on the pedestals.

"Lady Devratha!"

Kazia turned to see Eaphan approaching, a broad smile lighting his face and a feeling of the utmost joy emanating from him.

"I am so pleased that you have come! How does the evening find you?"

"Very well," Kazia answered. "I finished my project sooner than expected. How are you this evening, Sir Palanaida?"

"So far all is going better than expected," he said. "But please, if you don't find it too familiar, do call me Eaphan. We new academics don't stand much on the old proprieties."

"Very well, then, Eaphan, I shall," Kazia replied.

She began to ask him about the display item they stood near when they were interrupted by the approach of a couple strolling arm in arm.

The older man seemed as if he were hiding a bored impatience.

The younger woman gave Eaphan an overt glance up and down, and Kazia felt some rather improper feelings from her toward him.

The man didn't seem to mind.

"Sir Palanaida, the exhibit is splendid!" the woman said.

"Indeed, Sir," her escort added. "Very nice to see what use the University makes of our money."

"Lady Devratha," Eaphan said, "may I introduce Mr. Haldon Thryn and Mrs. Isilma Thryn. Mr. Thryn has just launched a company to build a network for the new locomotive trains. Mr. and Mrs. Thryn, please meet Lady Kazia Devratha."

"I'm very pleased to meet you," Kazia said.

"Oh, my," said Mrs. Thryn. "Yes, a pleasure indeed, Lady Devratha. We had heard that you were here in Elisaen, of course."

"The daughter of Prince Gorvan himself, one of Her Majesty's Alchemists," Mr. Thryn said gruffly. "These are strange times indeed."

"Come now," Eaphan said. "Lady Devratha is an Alchemist, and they are always going hither and yon. Why, the Mistress of Alchemists herself is from Loranar, is she not?"