Chapter 21: In a Mood

"Leave it to such a difficult man to have created such a difficult Artifact," Kazia said, throwing her hands up at the machine and slumping back into her chair.

For days she had worked on the transmitter, but still it defied her efforts. She had replaced some of its wiring with silver, and now it would momentarily spark to life when its switch was thrown, but only momentarily.

That had been exciting several days ago, but there had been no progress since.

"You mean Lord Meratha?" Neiphi asked.

"Mm."

"He's scary," Neiphi said. "He was nice that day to my mother, but no one here likes him. The children dare each other to knock on his office."

She began to laugh.

"You should have seen one boy-"

"Neiphi," Kazia scolded gently, "that is not kind behavior."

Neiphi's face turned red.

"Anyway," she continued, "none of the grownups seem to like him either."

"Has he no companions? Apprentices?"

"None that I've seen. But sometimes he comes to our lessons and shows us things about science, and he seems pleasant enough then, although he can be very stern if children won't be quiet."

"I had no idea," Kazia mused, more to herself than to Neiphi.

She knew she shouldn't be as surprised as she felt. He did seem to enjoy sharing his knowledge with others, as she had witnessed in his lectures at the University.

"It's always interesting when he comes to class," Neiphi was saying. "He showed us a little electric light that you can-"

Kazia bolted upright in her seat.

"Oh, Neiphi, you've given me an idea!"

"I have?" Neiphi said, a pleased excitement welling from her.

"Yes...but," she sat back again, a light grimace at her lips. "I'll have to go see him."

"Ugh," Neiphi commiserated. "Sorry."

~~~*~~~

Kelvaran's apartment was only on the floor below, although Kazia had to ask Tamyn where to find it.

As she approached his door a man Kazia recognized was departing from within, irritation written plainly on his expression.

Master Giao was an Alchemist from the country of Luazin, which lay across a vast desert from Thalesia. He specialized in alloys, and regularly supplied Kazia with components made from whatever mixture of metals she required.

He appeared to be of advanced age, but still had the strength of a metalworker in his arms and Kazia felt that his appearance may be the result of a hard life, as he carried an air of tragic loss about with him.

He always had a smile for Kazia, though, which he graced her with now.

"You're not going in there, are you?" he asked her.

"I'm afraid I must," she replied. "Is he in a mood?"

"Ha! When is he not? Well if you must, then good luck with Lord Doom and Gloom."

He laughed as he went on his way, and Kazia hesitated before knocking at the door.

"Come," Kelvaran said shortly.

She opened the door and timidly peeked her head around it. He was bent over a ledger on his desk, but raised his face and fixed her with a sour expression.