Chapter 16

"Mel!"

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

"Mel!"

Rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle!

"Melody!"

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

"Melody, damn it, open this window!"

With shaking hands, I pulled back the sheer fabric only to be faced through the glass by Jake's alarm stained eyes so wide, I was sure I could see his retinas. Bracing myself for what was sure to be a chastising from hell, I reached a finger to unlatch the worn out brass hook.

I had to take a quick step back before being pelted by the glass frames as they swung toward me in Jake's rush to get in.

Eyes wide I said, "The door was unlo..."

His arms shot out and wound tight around my shoulders as my cheek squished hard against his firm pectorals, the fierce drumming of his heart kicking hard against his chest.

"Mel," he said, his breath shaking as I could feel the nerves under his skin gyrating. He continued to squeeze and instantly I knew what it was like to be the victim of a python.

"Ja... Ja..." I tried pushing him free, but the more I pushed the more he squeezed until it felt like my eyeballs were gonna pop out of my head. "Jake!" I was able to finally get out as I pushed harder. His arms let up and I found myself rocking back on my heels clumsily as he grabbed both of my upper arms, shaking me urgently while knocking what little sense I had been able to regain over the past few minutes right out of me again.

"Mel. What happened? What did he do?"

He shook me again as he bent over to look me eye to eye.

All I could do was blink at him dumbfounded.

"Did he touch you? Did he hurt you?" His eyes roamed up and down inspecting my body causing me to blush.

"Jake," finally I was able to find my voice in the chaos that was going on in my mind.

"I'll call the police." He stood up straight as he pulled his phone from his front pocket.

"Jake."

"I'm going to kill the bastard," he said under his breath as he swiped the touchscreen with a shaking finger to unlock his phone.

"Jake!" I yelled causing him to stop his flustering. His wide eyes jerked up to lock with mine, their surface clouded with panic. "Kyle didn't doooo... anything."

For a second there was relief, then confusion. "But he just..." He turned to point out the door before turning back toward me. "I just saw him leave and he looked scared as hell like he was seriously guilty of something."

"Really?" I choked. "Scared?" Biting my lower lip, my face twisted with uneasiness as my hands wrung together.

Oh, Melody, that can't be good.

"Mel?"

I looked back up at Jake and braced myself for the long lecture that was sure to follow.

"It was me... Jake," I admitted, my ears sizzling just hearing the words.

"What do you mean it was you?" he asked not getting what I said.

So much for him knowing more about this as he led on he did.

Shoulders slumped I let out a long breath. "I'm the one who practically... pounced Kyle," I growled imitating a tiger attack with my fingers as my eyes widened for a second.