Chapter 21

The drive to downtown L.A. was a bit awkward. I was still whacking myself mentally as Jake opened the passenger door urging me to step out. How could I just blurt out something like that?

Was I really falling for Kyle or was it just my hormones kicking in?

It's definitely part hormones!

"Eh hem," Jake's rattling voice box had my attention snapping toward him. "You coming or just going to sit in there all day?"

Reaching for his hand, I let him pull me out of the car. The sweet smell of ice cream mugged my nose causing me to turn around.

I had heard of The Scoop and always wanted to see what the buzz was all about. And now, here it was towered before me. The perfect answer to any girl's guy problems.

Just hand me a spoon and lock the doors until I come out rolling.

Holding open the triple decker ice cream decorated door, Jake motioned for me to go first. Walking in, the place was dotted with small tables and chairs that housed people of all walks of life laughing and smiling while digging a spoon into the 'fixes all your problems' delight.

"What do you want?" Jake's voice jarred me back to him. His eyebrow went up as if to question my jumpiness.

"Uh... chocolate," I answered not really caring.

My mind wondered to Kyle. I wondered what he was doing.

Did he go home? Was Chloe giving him a hard time?

"That's it? No toppings or anything?" he asked unbelieving.

"Ummm... M&Ms," I responded halfheartedly.

Jake elbowed me toward a corner table against the wall and I slid into the seat.

Did Kyle even have a girlfriend? Has he ever had a girlfriend? Have I ever even seen him with a girl in the halls or holding hands with anyone?

Placing the desserts on the table, Jake plopped down into the chair next to me letting out a defeated breath.

"Well, guess you're not here right now," he said disappointedly.

"I'm sitting right here," I defended reaching for the pink plastic spoon he held out for me before barely stabbing at the icy treat.

God, he was so close last night that if it weren't for baby Chloe, would we have ended up kissing?

"So tell me what's going on in your head?" he asked while stabbing at his triple scoops.

My cheeks burned.

Should I actually tell him what happened between Kyle and I? What he said?

Jake keeps secrets too.

"Well, whatever it is, it must be big for you to keep quiet," he said breaking my thoughts.

"Jake?"

"Yeah?" He took a bite leaving a trail of chocolate across his lips.

Picking up a napkin, instinctively I wiped his mouth causing him to pull back and laugh as he stole the pathetic thin paper from my hand and wiped at it himself.

"Have you ever had sex?"

He choked.

Getting up, I went over to the brown cooler that housed free water and filled a waxy plastic logo stamped cup to near over spilling. Reaching the table, I handed it out to him and he graciously took it.