Chapter 19

The first half of the day seemed to drag on. Chloe was fussy and I spent most of my class time in the back of the room bouncing her on my shoulder. Some of the teachers and students were a little annoyed and there were no other students in any of my classes participating in the program that I could relate to. Although most of them heard about it, I was sure they had no idea it would be like this. Heck, even I wasn't prepared. It was safe to say they were happy to have escaped the trials.

By the time I reached health, I was exhausted. Placing my head on top of my desk, I closed my eyes and tried to catch a few seconds of reprieve. But that was pretty much short lived when I heard the shuffle of feet and moaning filling the room. I looked to my left and there sat Jake as usual. He looked at me with such pity that I wanted to cry.

Mr. Lloyd moved into the room after the bell rang and leaned back on the whiteboard crossing his arms over his chest while scanning the room. He failed miserably at hiding his pleasure in seeing how fatigued we all were.

We all jumped when he clapped his hands together and yelled, "Jason!" Everyone turned to look at him who started shrinking in his seat. "So," he continued overly boisterous. "I see you look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. How was it over at Janette's?"

Jason's eyes darted around the room as everyone waited for his answer. Janette sat to the far right of the room looking on the verge of collapsing.

"Alright, I guess," Jason answered in a small voice.

"Tsk... yes, well..." Mr. Lloyd looked over at Janette gesturing in her direction with his palm facing up. "Let's ask your partner how she feels."

All at once, everyone turned toward Janette who didn't even notice we were all staring at her. Her comatose state made me appreciate my situation a little better. From that point on, I was not going to complain anymore.

At that moment, the baby in Janette's front carrier started to cry and her head fell to her elbow on her desk. It was quite possible she had just passed out.

Mr. Lloyd walked over to Janette's seat and unclasped the harness from around her back before pulling the baby from around her waist. Turning to Jason, he extended the baby out to him and said, "I don't want her key in that child's side one more time for the next two days or there will be repercussions, do you understand me?"

Jason shook his head vigorously up and down as he took the baby from Mr. Lloyd. Fumbling for his key, he was finally able to get the baby to quiet down.

Mr. Lloyd moved back to the front of the classroom. "So, is everyone other than Janette enjoying the project so far?"

There were a few chuckles and a lot of grumpy muffled complaints.

"How many of you feel you have a better respect for your parents?"

I quickly raised my hand.

Mr. Lloyd looked at me. "Melody. How was your first night?"

Heat rushed to my cheeks and I could feel my heart racing. There was no way in hell I was going to tell him I locked Kyle out of the house or that he climbed in through my window. Oh, and let's not forget... that he was one heck of a daddy with swoon worthy abs and breathtaking eyes.

"It went well," I heard Kyle respond from the back of the room. The whole class went completely silent. The tapping of his pencil against his book was reverberating off the classroom walls.

Mr. Lloyd shook his head to himself and smirked. "Good to know you two are getting along."

"We get along pretty well, I would say," Kyle said in a teasing voice, completely making me wince with guilt. "What do you think, sweetie?"