Chapter 7

The sun was peeping through the windows, its welcoming heat warming my skin. That meant it was the weekend and at least ten o'clock. Stretching, I yawned and pawed at my pillow wrapping my arms around its billowy softness wanting desperately to sleep in a little longer.

But something in the back of my subconscious was screaming, "Get up, get up," as I mentally tried to wave off the disembodied voice.

"Are you really going back to sleep?" a deep voice asked.

Jolting upright, my face came nose to nose with Kyle's, his icy blue eyes staring at me in disbelief.

"You know. I would have never guessed the nerdy Melody Jenkins to be this lazy." His heavy brow arched perfectly.

My mouth dropped open.

Hooking the crook of his knuckle under my chin, Kyle closed it for me all the while chuckling.

Again with the chuckling.

He moved to lay his back across the bed, his elbows supporting his weight. Thank God he had on a shirt because I didn't think my heart would be able to handle an early morning adrenaline rush.

Lying back like that, the sunrays caught his hair just right giving it a slew of colors... blonde, caramel, mocha and every color in between that color pallet. Even though it was spiking in every which direction like a toddler just waking from a nap, it looked like it could be soft. A tingling sensation slapped my palms as I had an overwhelming feeling to run my fingers through it to see which it was... coarse or soft.

Squirming, I scratched the inside of my palm.

Was Kyle smiling at me?

The way it rearranged his features took him from charming schoolboy to hello gorgeous in less than a heartbeat. Yes. Kyle Warner was gorgeous and if I was honest with myself, I would recognize it for what it was. You don't just get voted into most popular because you can throw a ball.

Then again I wasn't all too schooled on how the social chain of rankings really worked. What I did know from the rumor mill was his family had money and lots of it. Based on what I saw each day, he didn't seem to mind flaunting it. Looks plus dough plus quarterback made him one tempting cookie to pull from the boyfriend cookie jar if you had the qualifications to reach in.

I didn't!

Kyle's features relaxed as he studied me. With my blatant scrutiny of him, why did I feel like he had no right? Not wanting to catch disappointment in his eyes, I cleared my throat and looked around the room hoping to find something to concentrate on other than Kyle's physical features. Small talk was never my 'thing' and now I wish I had taken a little more time developing that skill. To say the moment was awkward was an understatement.

"Brush your teeth," he commanded pushing himself up off the bed.

What did he just say?

Acting indifferent, I placed a hand in front of my mouth, huffed and sniffed.

Cringe.

Kicking at the blankets, I swung my bare legs around planting my feet on the floor moving quickly out of the bedroom, down the hall and straight into the bathroom.

While retrieving my toothbrush, I noticed a blue one sitting on the side of the sink, a different brand of paste than ours nudged neatly next to it.

I see he's already made himself at home.

My lip snarled involuntarily.

Opening the medicine cabinet, I grabbed for ours only to find it missing. Blinking, I moved a box of tampons, Q-tips and a bottle of contact solution, but the paste was nowhere to be found. Pulling out the vanity drawer, I rummaged through it only to find an old tube so dried out, the lid was cemented closed.