Chapter 6

An odd sound pushed through the fog of my sleep. I couldn't quite make it out at first but as my ears cleared, I recognized it to be a baby crying. Covering my head with the pillow, I tried drowning out the noise that just wouldn't stop. Slapping the side table, I reached to turn on the lamp. Rubbing my eyes, I squinted as I peeked through my lashes trying to adjust to the intrusive light.

Reluctantly sitting up, I noticed that the crying had already stopped.

Confused, I rubbed my eyes harder so as to focus. Grabbing my glasses from the nightstand, I slid them on. In a million years, I would have never expected to see a half-naked Kyle Warner in all of his muscled glory cradling a baby with a bottle stuck in its mouth.

He looked up, his hair slightly askew giving him a devilish look. And to make him even more irresistible, he added a charming, sheepish smile.

Something pounded in my chest causing my breath to pick up an unnatural pace. For the life of me, I couldn't seem to swallow.

"Go back to bed. I got this," he said, three long fingers flicking at me that were attached to the hand holding the bottle.

Surly this was a dream.

"What?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

"I said I got this. Go back to snoring."

Blinking hard, my chin lifted defiantly. "I don't snore!"

He chuckled.

Did Kyle Warner just chuckle?

And why did he have to look so adorable at two in the morning feeding a baby?

His caramel colored hair was all tussled and his grin slightly crooked. Blinking a few times, I finally swallowed... although, a little too loudly.

Looking at the clock, I realized it had already been about five minutes. Flipping back the covers, the cool air slapped at my bare legs as I moved quickly to kneel at his side. Reaching out with both hands, I tried to take the baby but he pushed my shoulder keeping me at arms distance. The sudden warmth of his hand caused my skin to burn as I felt a strange heat rush throughout every one of my limbs.

Trying to shake off the unexpected feeling, I reached for the baby again. But he twisted his well-defined torso placing it farther out of my reach.

 "Hand her here," I demanded, although it felt like my words landed on deaf ears. "She needs to be burped every five minutes once you start feeding and she needs to be fed for at least twenty minutes."

"She?" he asked as he put down the bottle on the floor out of my reach before placing the baby over his shoulder. Patting the baby's back, he rubbed gently and patted again with soft little pops.

My mouth dropped in shock at his expertise.

When in the hell did he ever learn how to do that?

He must have read my thoughts because he answered, "My sister just had a baby this past summer. I'm the favorite Uncle." He smiled proudly.

Mouthing the word Oooohhhh, I returned the smile although it didn't quite reach my eyes.

The baby gave a small burp. He returned her to the cradle of his well-defined arm placing the bottle in her mouth. I felt a bit helpless just watching but I couldn't tear my eyes away from how gentle he was being. I mean, is that normal?

"You didn't answer me." His voice sounded a bit strained.

Jerking my eyes upward, I looked from side to side trying to recall what he had asked me that I somehow missed.

He chuckled again. The sound was mesmerizing.

"I asked why did you call it she?" he repeated his question.

The rich baritone sound of his voice had my mouth opening, but no explanation came out. So, I shrugged my shoulders instead.

Again, he chuckled.

I was really enjoying the sound of it and secretly hoped he would offer up more of those melodic gestures in the future.

But then reality hit me like a cold bucket of ice water. This was Kyle Warner I was talking about.

I could tell he noticed a change in my mood because he was no longer smiling. The way his eyes were moving over my features with such intensity made me feel quite uneasy.

But then his expression changed up suggesting he was about to say something. Not really in the mood for chatting with a guy I despised, I moved to sit back down on the bed, looked at the clock and quickly stated, "It's time for her to burp again."

Obligingly, he quietly put the bottle down and gently lifted the infant to his shoulder before commencing to burping the baby.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" I asked half-heartedly trying to hide my sudden nervousness.

Staring at me for a few seconds longer than what was comfortable, he finally nodded yes as his expression transformed back to a well masked Kyle.

Taking in a much needed deep breath, I said nonchalantly, "Okay then, I'm going back to sleep. I'll get the next feeding?"

"We'll see," he answered as he sent me a teasing smile.

I was taken aback as I had never seen this side of Kyle. In fact, I didn't think anyone had ever seen this side of Kyle. It was a bit unnerving.

"Do you need this on?" I asked pointing to the lamp but quickly pulled my hand back as I noticed my finger was shaking.

"No," was all he said as he turned his back to me, his fading summer tanned skin glowing in the dim light.

Shaking my head, it would be very difficult, even with my intellectual mind, to comprehend what I witnessed that night. Placing my glasses back on the table, I reached for the lamp switch and turned the knob extinguishing the light. After settling in once again under my blanket, I realized that his pillow and blanket were probably still outside.

Guilt crept up my spine and slapped my conscience causing me to wince in the dark. He had every right to be angry. If I hadn't been so anxious, I would have realized that technically he was on time. I mean, I didn't tell him he had to be in the house at nine. Just at my house at nine and technically, he was at my house at nine. Right?

Why on earth was I trying to defend Kyle Warner?

Had I completely lost all my senses?

About a half hour later, I could hear him shuffling about as he placed the baby back into bed before settling down on the floor. I waited for about ten more minutes before quietly getting out of bed heading for the front door.

Removing the chain and unlocking the bolt, I opened the door to peek outside. The pillow and blanket were on the hammock. As I moved to retrieve them, I wondered if he even sat down in it.

Not wanting to conjure up in my mind's eye a half-naked Kyle lounging in a hammock, I quickly grabbed the two downy pieces before tiptoeing back into my room.

The outline of his body was just barely noticeable on the floor. Popping open the blanket, I let it fall gently over his large frame. Patting his arm softly in the dark, I found the edge of the blanket and pulled it up over his slightly chilled shoulder. Hissing, I pulled back my hand as if burned despite the temperature of his skin. Completely unnerved by this point, I walked a broad path around him so as not to step on him or trip myself.

Climbing back into bed, I eventually got settled.

"Thanks." I heard him whisper.

Swallowing hard, I couldn't tell if he said it in his sleep or if he said it because he meant to say it. Either way, it caused butterflies to flutter in my stomach and that night, I dreamt of a half-naked Kyle Warner cradling a baby.