Chapter 15

My nose wrinkled as I rubbed my eyes awake. The smell of something mouthwatering was drifting through my bedroom door, the aroma lifting my body with invisible hands beckoning me to go toward it. My lips smacked at the drool pooling in my mouth as I segued down the hall into the kitchen.

A few Disney skips later and I was standing next to Kyle looking down at a large yellow disc sizzling in a pan sprinkled with peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese. The tip of my tongue did a happy dance across my lips as my eyes stared wide at it.

"Is there anything you can't do?" I asked without thinking.

Kyle chucked one of his heartwarming chuckles causing me to look up at him, his arctic eyes all alight with merriment.

"You scare me," I teased punching him gently in the arm.

His eyes switched up almost instantly. "Not as much as you scared me last night. Why didn't you wake me up if you were that exhausted?"

My head snapped back at the gentle chastising.

It was mainly your fault!

If I hadn't been so friggin' exhausted from the constant interruptions of my sleep cycles, which will take me months to recover from, I would have been able to handle being exposed to his body like that a lot better.

Not!

Heat crept up into my cheeks stinging them as if I were sunburned.

Kyle pulled the pan over to the cool eye, wiped his hands on a dish towel before grabbing my shoulders. Immediately I could feel the electricity moving through each cell as they started to vibrate.

"You're doing it again."

I shook my head as I looked up at him. "Doing what?" My voice barely audible.

"You're eyes dilated and you look just the way you did last night before knocking out."

"This morning."

"What?"

"It was this morning. Early morning. I was exhausted. You heard my mom. That's all it was," I said sheepishly shrugging his hands from my shoulders. Turning toward the cabinet, I reached for two plates.

Placing them on the table, I turned and headed for the drawer next to the sink and pulled out the silverware... which were not silver silver, and headed back to the table sitting down in an empty chair.

Kyle moved over to the table dropping a towel in the center placing the hot pan on top of it.

"Juice?" he asked looking down at me.

"I'll get it."

He pushed my shoulder downward. "Sit." He scooched over to the fridge and pulled out some juice filling two cups before sauntering back over to the table and sliding easily into the seat next to me.

Oddly, it felt like I had been having breakfast with him all my life. As if it were a daily routine I should be used to. Swallowing, I squinted my eyes watching him.

Pulling my plate to rest next to the pan, he cut the sunshine disc in half and placed a generous portion on it before sliding it to rest in front of me.

"Eat."

Blinking, I nodded. Picking up the fork, I stabbed at it and shoved a heap into my mouth. My mouth opened in a big O as I huffed trying to cool the piece down while fanning close to my face with a hand.

"Ha... ha... hot," I huffed as my eyes widened, tears stinging them as I continued to fan.

Kyle shook his head in disbelief as he cut into his, lifting it to his face and blowing on it before placing it into his mouth. "Fascinating," he said more to himself as he lifted another piece.