Chapter 31

It was nearing eight o'clock and the homecoming couples and ticket holders were already lining up outside waiting for the doors to open. I had arrived thirty minutes early as instructed to all volunteers. Miss Lowe was standing at the door letting in the volunteers when I walked up.

"Just volunteers are allowed in right now," she said as I moved to pass by her.

"Miss Lowe, it's me." Her head tilted one side to the other as she searched for something to recognize in me. "Melody!" I stated in frustration.

"Jenkins?" she asked unbelievingly.

I pinched my lips together praying that my temper would hold and nodded vigorously as she was like the tenth person stating they didn't recognize me.

"Wow. You look..." she looked me up and down. "Pwa..." she let out a puff of air.

"Okay, I get it. Can I pass now?" I asked sardonically.

"Sure, honey. Sure. Go right in." She waved me through. "Oh. Coach Mariner is in the gym. He'll tell you where you will be tonight."

I nodded before trotting in my two and a half inch heels down the hallway toward the main gym.

The double doors were already propped open covered in fabric while fake French doors were placed to look as though I was about to walk out into a courtyard.

And that is exactly what it felt like.

Walking into the gym was like being transported into a magical fairytale setting. The place was dark on the outer edges forcing my eyes to only take in the splendor of the décor toward the center. Thousands of flickering lights danced from above in every direction looking like stars shining down from a heavenly night sky. Wide sheets of white fabric spilled from the center of the rafters and fell down the sides of the gym creating translucent walls that had orbs of light hiding behind them giving off a soft creamy glow to the room. The effect gave the illusion of one oversized luxurious royal gazebo. Columns were placed around the outer edges creating a courtyard feel with lights and vines snaking up them. There were at least eighty round cloth covered tables that could seat eight to ten people with white bows dangling off each chair. The floating dance floor was lit up with black gossamer and blue lights giving the effect of a reflective dark pooled surface.

It was breathtaking.

Every year, the homecoming committee seemed to always try outdoing the prom committee from the year before. However, this time, I think they truly outdid themselves. I shuttered to think what the prom committee would be able to come up with at the end of the year to outdo this.

Heading over toward Coach Mariner, I noticed where the pictures would be taken. A huge crescent moon sat as the backdrop with hundreds of little twinkling stars that looked like diamonds suspended all around it. A stone bench and a few European streetlamps completed the look with the words Wish Upon A Star written in script as the homecoming theme.

I froze.

My mind started to laugh hysterically. Surly that couldn't be the theme. Not tonight!

"Hey," the deep voice of the coach yelling at me to join him had me snapping myself back to my senses and wobbling over to where the rest of the volunteers were gathering.

Reaching the group, I noticed many stunned stares looking over my sapphire blue chiffon strapless dress that showed maybe just a little too much leg than I was comfortable with, even though the billowy fabric did reach further south of mid-thigh. Sparkling beadwork accented the bodice and the gathered full short skirt added a playful flirty touch to the overall look. My mother insisted on it when I walked out of the dressing room and wouldn't take no for an answer. So much so, she ran into the dressing room stealing my clothes so I had no choice but to wear the dress home.