Chapter 10

Out of breath, I slammed my back against the front door while reaching a shaking hand behind me to lock it. Little dancing lights invaded my vision causing my lids to squeeze shut tight.

The window!

Snapping my head up not caring about the dizzy feeling it left me with, I scurried around living room furniture, bumped my hip into the dinette chair and booked it down the hall toward my bedroom.

Bursting into my room, I rushed to the window that was thankfully closed, placed the latch across it and test shook it. It rattled but it would hold. Reaching a hand up on either side of me, I grabbed the fabric of the sheer curtains pulling their ends together. It didn't offer a lot of privacy in the way I'd envisioned, but they sent a silent message.

Stay out!

Turning around, my back pushed against the pane of glass offering my weakened knees much needed support. With my sense of panic beginning to ebb, I tried desperately to calm the unnatural pace within my heart by taking in slow shaky breaths.

Since leaving the garden, my mind's eye could only envision the most kissable lips that were so close to mine. Even the lingering scent of syrup still teased the inside of my nostrils.

I was this close.

This close.

Shaking my head side to side, I closed my eyes allowing the back of my head to loll against the fabric covered glass. But it didn't help. My nerves were shot.

Moaning, I let out an annoyed breath.

Why did Jake have to try and teach me a lesson like that? If he didn't know I wanted to kiss him before, he certainly knew now... as well as his mother!

Argh... so friggin' frustrating.

My fists bounced repeatedly against the wall just under the window as I continued to steam.

"I take it things didn't go well."

Even though I recognized the voice, my body did an involuntary jerk causing my eyes to fly open. Kyle was standing in front of me, his chin dipped downward with the corners of his lips tugging into a knowing smile.

"What do you care?" I retorted sourly. I definitely was not in the mood for his harassing. Being one of the reasons for all this, I could just strangle him.

"I don't," he said shrugging his shoulders as he moved nonchalantly back to the bed where the indention of his body still lay.

What the heck? Was he sleeping in my bed?

"Have you been sleeping in my bed?" I asked my voice tainted with disbelief.

"Why yes Goldilocks, I have. Right after eating all your porridge." His eyes narrowed as he kicked up a long leg dramatically allowing his body to fall back to bounce on the mattress.

His arms rose as he locked his hands behind his head, his elbows pointing out to the sides. Cocking an eyebrow, he exaggerated crossing his ankles and wiggling his bared toes while giving his best smug expression.

I don't know what came over me, but within a two nanosecond crack in the time continuum, my ass flew to the bed, claws out with teeth gnashing.

  He must have been expecting it because his hands were up and out, his fingers laced with mine as he held off my attack by locking his elbows, keeping me at arm's length.

"Whoa hoa there missy," he said with a playfulness in his tone.

Our arms wobbled in competition. All of a sudden, his face broke out into the biggest smile I had ever seen on him as laughter rumbled from his chest. Spurring me further, I pushed with all my weight trying to get his arms to fold but he continued to hold me off, laughing nonstop.