Chapter 26

Knuckles rapped on my door as I was packing up my notebooks into my bag.

"Come in," I yelled not wanting to waste a trip to the door.

The door handle turned and in stepped Max with a football in his hand. Blinking in surprise, I stood still waiting for him to speak. His eyes trailed around the room as if seeing it for the first time. His lips curled a little in disgust before his eyes settled back on me.

"You coming?" he asked.

"Uh... going where?" I asked shaking my head in confusion.

"Football."

For an academy boy, he didn't use a lot of words.

I shrugged my shoulders. Why the heck not. It was better than staying cooped up for the next couple hours twiddling my thumbs. Besides, I needed the exercise.

"Let me change," I said and flicked my hand gesturing him to step out. "Shoo."

His eyebrow lifted as he cocked a mischievous half grin that looked so much like Kyle's I had to steal a double take.

What was that kid up to?

I changed into a pair of sweatpants that I normally wore to bed and a plain white t-shirt that hugged my rib cage and abdomen. Reaching for my shoes, I slipped into the sneakers, tied them before tucking the laces down the sides of my feet to prevent me from tripping while playing.

Opening the door, Max whirled around and stopped as he stared at my apparel. For some reason, he swallowed hard causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

"What, my clothes don't meet with your approval either?" I asked sourly.

He blinked a few times. "No. Just you," he said bluntly while turning, leading me down the hall.

My hand came up for an air slap across the back of his head but quickly sliced to slide across my hair as I puckered up to whistle when he caught me doing so over his shoulder.

I smiled innocently at him before he turned to look forward again while my lips rippled with silent obscenities.

We met up with Kyle on a well-manicured lawn surrounded by exquisite landscaping that had Jake's mother's garden paling in comparison. The sun was setting low in the sky throwing the background into shadows.

It was obvious now more than ever that baby brother Maxi had something up his sleeve when I saw Kyle's eyebrows pull together in question as to why I was there. Narrowing my eyes at Max, I snarled as he mischievously smiled.

"Alright." Max slapped the ball in his hands causing Kyle's jaw to tense. "This is how we play." He pointed a finger while still palming the football gesturing between him and his brother. "One of us throws the ball," he motioned a fake throw over his shoulder as he raised an eyebrow. "You with me so far?"

I popped my hip out and crossed my arms glaring at him. He suppressed a smile while continuing. "Then you... catch it," he said as if explaining the game to a five year old. His arms dramatically wrapped around the ball at his abdomen before popping out into a Heisman pose. "Then you run, run, run toward the in zone before one of us can tackle you."

"No tackling," Kyle warned his brother.

"Okay, fine. I'll rephrase," he said disappointed. "While one of us pushes you to the ground." He grinned.

My eyes narrowed. He just wanted to cause me bodily harm while using the excuse it was all in the name of fun.

Ho ho ho. Little boy blue eyes had no clue who he was dealing with.