Are they "Just Words"

Chapter 7

Are they just words?

            I was being shaken awake. As I came back into the real world my past faded into the darkness once again. I sat up and gasped, the bright light from my window blinded me and I yelped in pain and covered my head with the blankets once more. I heard someone laughing at me and sighed.

            "Day, get your ass out of my room" I demanded. He only laughed harder.

 "Oh I'm so scared, the mighty Shadow is angry. What ever will I do" he said in a girly voice. I laughed and sat up in my bed. I picked up one of my pillows and threw it at him. He wasn't paying attention and it hit him in the face. I laughed and hopped out of bed before he could do anything. It was Monday morning and we both had school. I grabbed a large long sleeve shirt and some jeans before heading into the bathroom. I brushed through my hair and pulled it up into a high pony tail and walked out to grab my stuff.

 I walked down the stairs and gasped. My mother was standing in the kitchen, but that's not what made me gasp. What made me gasp was she was sickly pale and leaning over the sink throwing up. I covered my mouth to stifle the scream that wanted to escape and ran to my mother's side dropping my stuff on the ground and setting my camera down on the cabinet. I pulled my mother's long brown hair up and tied it before gently rubbing her back. She looked over at me and gave me a small smile.

 "I'm alright" she whispered, but as I looked into her green eyes, so different from my own, I knew she was lying. I sighed.

 "I'm calling into your work" I said. She tensed and grabbed my arm, making me flinch. She yanked her arm back and sighed.

 "I'm sorry" she whispered. I shook my head.

 "It's not your fault, it was his" I said in disgust. She nodded.

 "I need to go to work" she said. I laughed humorlessly.

 "Oh no you're not" I said as I grabbed the phone and called into her work. It rang three times before a man answered the phone.

 "Yes" he demanded. I rolled my eyes.

 "Yes, my mother is very sick and cannot come in" I said. I heard a small gasp on the other side of the line.

 "Is she going to be ok" the man asked, his voice kinder and softer now. I blinked in surprise and looked over at my mother who was studying the ground in front of her.

 "Yes, she's just very tired" I said. The man grunted.

 "She works two jobs and one of them over works her way to much. I will be calling into her other job for you" he said. I sighed. I had to get to school. I didn't have time to argue with this man.

 "Alright" I said in a tired voice.