chapter five

On the move

Once the sun broke through the sky I woke Miguel and Danielle up. Sue me, I woke Miguel up first. "It's time to see if it's cleared." I tell them. Danielle rubs her eyes to make them adjusted to the light.

"Couldn't we sleep a bit longer?" Danielle asked. I raise my eyebrow at her.

"You could but by the time you wake up it could be filled with undead again." I respond as I walk back outside. All night I have been thinking about what Miguel said. I have thought about changing my mind but if i do that what will happen? I take out my katana and Miguel does the same with his knives. We went from tree to tree making sure no undead were around. When we did see an undead we would kill it as quietly as possible.

We found our campsite and dead undead littered the ground but there's no alive undead in sight. "Okay quickly collect your things then we get out of here as soon as possible." I told them they jumped into action and I did the same. I pack all my things then quickly take down my tent. Once everyone did the same and had all their things together we quickly left the ground.

We didn't start talking again until we were on the road. "Okay we need to get away from the woods. I think we're getting to the end of the forest for a while. We won't run into the woods for a while." i tell them. They looked at me confused.

"What?" I ask

"What do you mean 'we'" Miguel asked. I looked at him confused then realized I intended they could join me i mentally scolded myself.

"Yes 'we'. You can stay with me for a little while if you'd like." I explain "And for this decision I better not regret it." I add.

"I would love to stay with you. I've survived this long. I might as well be with someone that knows how to survive." Danielle said looking rather happy. Why is she happy? Miguel looked at Danielle rather offended.

"I know how to survive." He told her stubbornly.

Danielle blinked, comprehending what he said. "Of course you do! I didn't mean anything by what I said! I didn't mean to offend you or anything." Danielle apologized. it took all my willpower not to laugh. I'm surprised I kept a straight face.

Miguel chuckled, "I'm just kidding." He tells Danielle with a smile. When Miguel smiled at Danielle I had this crushing feeling. Was it guilt? What do I have to feel guilty for? Everytime i think of that lady I killed a couple months ago. I subconsciously started to mess with the cross around my neck. This crushing feeling I'm feeling is different. It's not the guilt I feel when I think of that lady. Was it anger? No it's not anger. Jealousy? I quickly shake that thought away.

"Let's get moving." I tell them as I let go of the cross. They nod. We started to walk down the road to find a new safe place. We didn't talk at all; well I didn't talk. I don't know if Miguel and Danielle talked. I wasn't paying attention. My thoughts were going haywire and guess who there about yep you guessed it Miguel. Miguel is driving me crazy! Why do I keep thinking about him? I mentally groan. Why did I have that crushing feeling? What was that feeling?

It wasn't anger or guilt I can tell when I feel those emotions. Was it jealousy? I have never been jealous before. I have had nothing to feel jealous about. Why did Miguel smiling at Danielle make me jealous? Feelings are so confusing. I'm so confused. After a little while Miguel came by me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You won't regret this decision." He reassured me. I give him a stern look.

"I better not." Then I started to walk ahead leaving Miguel.

This was all I kept thinking about why Miguel smiling made me jealous as we walked to find a safe place to be cooped up tonight. As i thought we haven't run into any woods they ended a long time ago. I think we're in the desert. It took forever to come across buildings again. This town looked different then the other towns that have crossed my path. This town looked like a fire blew through.