chapter twenty-eight. lost

"Could it be any colder in here?" Lydia asked rhetorically as she rubbed her shoulders before continuing to lace up her ice skating shoes. We were all at the ice rink and were the only ones in the building. Allison wasn't supposed to be seeing Scott so we were all hanging out when no one else would be here. I was kind of glad because we had the place all to ourselves.

I frowned before I looked through my backpack, handing Lydia the orange sweatshirt that Stiles gave me the other day. I knew she would probably hate it because Stiles' fashion sense was terrible but it was all I had.

The girl gave me a strange look, "I'm wearing blue." She stated. "Orange and blue, not a good combination."

"Oh, come on! Does it even matter? There's nobody in here but us." I chuckled in disbelief, my girlfriend still refusing to take the shirt. I sighed before I put it back in my bag. I shrugged, "Okay, maybe orange and blue is not the best. But sometimes there's things you wouldn't think would be a good combination and they end up turning out to be, like, a perfect combination, you know, like two people together - Who nobody ever thought would be together ever."

Lydia furrowed her eyebrows, "Like who?"

I chuckled, "Us? Nobody ever saw us getting together. Not even me."

The girl shrugged as she laced up her other shoe, "I don't know, I feel like I've always seen something there with you."

My eyebrows rose in surprise, "Really?"

Lydia laughed as she nodded, "Yeah. You were always flirting with me. It was so obvious you had a crush on me, I'm surprised nobody else noticed."

I laughed as my eyes widened, "Me? You were always flirting with me!"

"I'm just a naturally flirtatious person." Lydia defended as she bumped her shoulder against mine playfully.

I chuckled before I stood up, holding out my hand for Lydia to take. The two of us walked down to the rink where Allison, Scott, and Stiles already stood. Allison was helping Scott skate because we'd never been ice skating before. Stiles was skating around, watching Scott fall numerous times.

I looked back to Lydia as she grabbed my hand, the girl helping me stand on the ice. I smiled as she stood in front of me, holding onto both of my hands. "So when did you first realize you liked me?" I wondered.

I saw her cheeks get pink, the girl pursing her lips. "Honestly, I've always thought you were really cute."

My eyes widened in disbelief, "Really!?"

Lydia chuckled as we continued to skate slowly, the girl leading me by hand. "Yeah. I mean, I've always been intrigued by you. I just didn't know if what I felt for you was anything more than just wanting to be your friend, but clearly it was."

I blinked slowly, "How did you realize the difference?"

Lydia looked at me in thought for a moment, "I started to dream about you." She admitted, my lips parting in disbelief before I let her finish. "It wasn't anything crazy, just random, normal things. Like - us going to the movies together, or eating at your favorite restaurant, or just hanging out. And then I dreamt that I kissed you... And - when I woke up, I had never been so disappointed in my life. I realized that I had wanted it to happen so badly."