Chapter 8

The last bell rings and I grab all my books. Today was the big day... the mountains. I wish I didn't have to go, I'd rather go to the best party of the year. I mean, why wouldn't I want to? 

I see my locker to find Lucas and Caroline standing there, arguing. As I get closer I hear what they're bickering about. 

"Yeah, you asshole! That's what I've been saying to your rock of a brain for the past minuet!" Caroline yells at him, a pissed look on her face.

"Shut up Caroline, nobody asked for your damn opinion!" Lucas yells back. As I approach them two, they both turn to me. 

"What happened?" I ask, rolling my eyes and pushing them both out of the way so I can get to my locker. 

"I'll explain later. Just tell this idiot to get away from me, I cant bare to look at him anymore." She says dramatically and I laugh. "Anyways, I wanted to say have fun this weekend bae!" 

"Yeah babe, I'm gonna miss you so much." Lucas says as he gives me a kiss on the forehead. 

"Aw, thanks guys-" I get cut off by my phone ringing. It's dad. "Hello?"

"Rose, please come home. Mom's in a lot of stomach pain." He sounds calm but panicked at the same time. My eyes go wide and my heart starts to race. 

"I'm coming right now." I hang up and look at my boyfriend and best friend. "My moms been having a lot of stomach pains this past week. She hasn't really been at work. I-I got to go." Caroline hugs me. "Love you both." Lucas takes my hand, spins me around and kisses me. 

"Be safe this weekend, love you. Can't wait for the sleepover." He whispers so only I can hear. I smile at him, grab the rest of my books and shove them into my bag. I basically run out of the school and to my car. 

When I get home, mom is laying on the couch holding her stomach, while dad is nowhere to be found. I throw my bag on the floor and take off my shoes quickly. 

I walk over to her and sit at the very edge of the couch, looking at her with a slight smile on my face. "What's going on?" 

"I'm okay, honey. Don't worry, we're still going on the trip." She says lightly.

I laugh a little to myself. "That's the last thing I'm worried about right now." If a stranger were to come in and see her, they'd just think she was resting. That's how fine she looks, but I know shes's not.

What makes me uneasy though is that both of my parents are home, they're never here when I get home from school. So, this must be pretty serious. 

"Alright. Yup, thanks. Bye." I hear my dad saying as he makes his way into the living room. "Hi honey."

"Hi dad." I smile lightly at him, it's all I got in me right now. Cant they just tell me what's going on?! I mean, mom has been home for a few days now, so it must be serious. 

"Go get your stuff together and come back down. I'll put it in the car." He says and I look at him with confusion.

"Are you sure we're going? Are you going to be okay, mom?" 

"I'll be fine. Plus, this is tradition. We have to go." I was about to argue her tradition statement, but I know it's no use. I nod and make my way upstairs. All of my bags are in a pile at the corner of my room. 

As I'm going to grab it, I feel my phone ring in my jean pocket. 

From Caroline: how's your mom? 

I smile at the text. 

To Caroline: she's alright. she insists on going on this trip still because its "tradition". she prob thinks my aunt and uncle are going to be mad maybe. i don't really know