Chapter 35

One Month Later ~ January 4th

If you were to ask me a month ago if I thought I would've been spending the holidays alone, I would've laughed in your face. I would've said that I would be spending it with my girlfriend.

Which I didn't do.

I walk into school with a knot in my stomach just like everyday I've went to school since Harper left my house that night.

Except this time we're in a new year.

"Rose!" I hear Caroline's sing-song voice yell from down the hall. She speed walks towards me as I stand by my locker, trying to get it opened. "How are we doing in this new year?"

I glace over at her as she hugs her planner tightly in her arms, leaning against the lockers. "I've been better."

"Come on, Rose. New year, new you!"

"It's more gonna be like new year, no me." I sigh, realizing I'm probably being dramatic. "Sorry, it's just... I can't get her off my fucking mind and it's pissing me off."

She puts a hand on my shoulder. "We need to leave all of that negative energy, meaning her, in last year. Now tell me, when was the last time you two talked again?"

"Not since she left my house that day."

"And when was that?"

I roll my eyes. "Last month. Specifically, December 2nd."

She clicks her tongue on the roof of her mouth. "And she hasn't even reached out! What a shame, I was really starting to like her."

"Whatever. Technically, we're not broken up-"

She puts her recently lotioned hand over my mouth. "Rose, let's be for real. You guys are broken up."

"No we're not. We didn't officially brake it off!" I gather my books and stand up.

"The last thing she said to you was that she needed to think. I wouldn't give a bitch this long to think." She rolls her eyes. "I'm mad at her and you should be too."

I shake my head as we walk down the hall and into the cafeteria. "I'm more upset. We had so much going for us and she just... cut me off and for what?! Her assumptions were stupid. I can't believe she would think I would do something like that!"

"Shhhh, someone's gonna hear you." She glances around before pushing the cafeteria doors open. The loud sound of kids fill my ears and all I wanna do is run out and sit in a quiet space. "What are you gonna get for lunch?"

I take a breath, kinda happy to switch the  conversation topic. "I don't know, maybe pizza or something." We get onto the line, get our food, and walk to our table. Usually Caroline and I just sit together. Periodically throughout the lunch, Lucas or one of our other friends will stop over and talk to us.

Today, I'm hoping no one stops by.

"So, what should we talk about?" Caroline says as she takes a bit into her mozzarella stick. "How about-"

"Hey guys! What are we talking about?" Lilah asks as she takes a seat next to me. I haven't talked to her since the day at the cafe, which is also known as the day Harper left me.

The last thing I wanna do right now is talk with Lilah James.

I turn my body to her and give her a gentle smile. "Listen Lilah, you've been really nice to me and I feel like we created a bond that day." She nods. "For now, I would just like to keep it the way it is."

"Why? I thought we were becoming friends or something?" She doesn't sound mad, just confused.

"We were... but something happened and I just need to collect myself." I shoot her another warm smile, hoping that she won't take this too much to heart.

"Ummm alright then. Let me know when you wanna... talk again." She tries to send me the same warm smile, except I can tell it's heavily forced.

"You can't push people away because you're hurt, Rose." Caroline says, taking a sip of her chocolate milk. The thought of eating this pizza and drinking that is making me nauseous. I push my plate away.

"I know, but if we never went out for coffee, this never would've happened-"

She cuts me off. "But if you would've told Harper-"

"I don't think it would've made a difference." I shake my head. "She didn't trust me. So I'm glad this happened so she can get her feelings out."

"I know you're not glad this happened."

I throw my tray out and look at her. "Not at all."

"Hey kiddo! How was school?" Dad asks me from the kitchen table. He's been getting home a lot earlier recently and it's probably because his job is making him.

"It was alright." I respond, taking off my shoes. "Long day."

He nods, looks up at me and smiles. "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better." I respond and chuckle a little bit. When Harper left, dad found me crying in my room when he got back from hanging with his buddies that night.

It was kinda like he was playing the role of mom.

Fuck, I wish mom was here for this. I could really use her advice.

"Okay, well let me know if you need anything. I'm gonna run to the store and get some stuff that we need."

"No." I stop in front of him. "I'll go."

"Are you sure?" I know that if I'm left alone in the house I'm gonna end up crying.

"Yeah." I respond, grabbing the keys and leaving.

I've always hated grocery shopping, but today I don't mind. I just can't be alone in the house.
I don't wanna be alone in the house. It reminds me that I'm losing people. They're slipping through my fingers and I can't do anything to prevent it.

I take out my phone and glance at the grocery list that dad sent me and I sigh. Is he buying the whole damn store or something?!

Maybe I shouldn't of taken on this task... whatever, I'm already here.

After shopping for what feels like forever, I head into the chip isle. I search for these weird sour cream and onion chips dad has been eating by a brand a I've never heard of in my life.

"Rose!" I hear a voice yell and my heart drops. I know that voice very well. "How are you doing, honey?"

"Hi, Emerson." She gives me a tight squeeze. "I've been alright. How about you?"

"I've been pretty good. I miss seeing you around." She looks down at the ground quickly. "I'm so sorry, Rose. I tried to tell to Harper that she was wrong-"

I've always admired that she takes my side in this type of stuff and not her own kids. Mainly because I'm right.

"Emerson... it's okay." I give her a tight smile. "She's over me and i'll have to get over it someday."

She shakes her head and looks around. "It's hard to say she's over you when I hear her crying in her room every night whispering how badly she wishes she could go back in time and fix everything. She misses you but sometimes it's hard for her to find ownership and say something." She holds onto my shoulders and looks into my eyes. "You guys aren't over yet. Your story has only just begun."