16 - ANYTHING

"They're going to plug the hole with that bolder? That's insane.." Berthold had stated in pure disbelief, hands clenched in a fist and face covered with dust and filth. "Eren might get eaten and..and we wont know a thing"

"if it comes to that, I'll have to do something with my titan somehow" Reiner had said, voice still strong and deep, so full of confidence as if destroying the home of his fellow soldiers didnt make his lungs ache.

"But-but if their plans works, it'll plug the hole we finally opened" Berthold had stated in worry, brows knitted and lips trembling.

"Then we're going to open another one" Y/n had stated, firm and full of determination. A true voice of a Warrior. There's no hint of pity laced on the tip of her tounge, no mercy, not to them, not to the island devils.

She tried to ignore the way her heart clenched on her chest.

"But then again, it doesnt matter" she followed, hands in fist behind her back, knuckles white.
"We've been searching for a clue those past five years and we've finally found it."

"Hey..you guys, what-what were you just talking about?"

Y/n's shoulder tense, like there was blade on her neck - rendering her unable to move nor breath.

They had turned around, slowly, so slowly, dreading the sight they will see once they did.

Marco stood there, sweet kind Marco who always has a smile on his lips and a blush on his freckled cheeks, but the Marco who stood there were anything but that - Stiff as a plank he was, eyes dull and wide, lips blue and knees trembling.

"What did you mean.."my titan" Reiner?" He had asked so innocently, as if the question were nothing but a mere everyday talk. As if he was curious about the weather, not about the secrets they hold that could make the entire Paradis shake and crumbled.

"What's this about the hole we opened, berthold" Marco had turned to the trembling form of the tall Warrior, tho his voice still hold it's pure curiosity, not hostile, just curious, not angry, not upset, not mad, just curious but still..No witnesses.

She swallowed a lump on her throat.

"And-and what do you mean you'll open another one?" Marco's hazel eyes had glance to her then and she found herself couldn't breath, even in this moment his eyes still held the same softness.

Silence hang between them, thick and hot. She could feel every sweat that drip down her nape, every heave of her chest, every breath on her mouth. Even the rubble and mud underneath her feet and the heavy dirt that clings on her palm.

"Marco.." Reiner had started, voice almost trembling. "The conversation just now...is a joke"

It was poor excuse, and yet she still hope Marco would believe him. To laugh it off and flee, to send them a humour smile and his usual flush cheeks. To forget it happened, to let himself drowned on the chaos that they created.

But he didnt.

"H-have you guys lost it?! This isnt like you!" He had yelled, upset. The moment of curiosity and tense calmness now gone. "Focus on the mission! Look. The titans are coming! Let's go"

And he flew away, hands trembling on his own gear and yet they stood there and watch him - frozen and tense.

Marco then gave them a fleeting glance.

One look.

One fucking look.

He knows.