FIVE. never have i ever... heard of ben's backstory

OVER THE course of a couple days, Devi had joined Model UN with Ben, Fabiola came out as gay to Eleanor and Kalani, Ben and Devi got along, then everything went to shit in the matter of days

Devi even went off on her trio saying that her shit was bigger than theirs and to basically suck it up for the time being.

Ben was upset, he didn't get to take home that golden gavel he'd been talking about to Kalani for months. He thought he could mend his rivalry with Devi, but turns out, she wanted to nuke him. And to think, Ben almost felt comfortable (or almost too drunk) to tell Devi about him and Kalani because that's how well last night had gone for him.

But he was wrong. He felt stupid. He felt betrayed.

Even worse, he'd gone home to his mother leaving for yet another trip. Even though Ben praised his father, he wasn't really much of one and his mother could be told the same. Even though Ben had is loud, brash school persona, at home he was just another quiet, lonely kid.

But, after hours of being home alone... there was a knock on his door.

He could only assume it was pizza he ordered or the many packages he needed to sign for. Either way, he stood from the white couch with a sigh and opened the door.

"Okay," Kalani smiled, "don't sound too disappointed. Sorry I'm not Jessica Alba."

Kalani always brought Ben joy. The saying "opposites attract" always felt dumb to Ben. But he and Kalani had been two very different people.

Though both teens had been book-smart; it was their personalities that made them different from each other.

Kalani allowed herself inside and Ben soon followed behind. She sat down on the couch and he soon joined her side with two glasses in his hand.

"So, where's the golden gavel you've been raving about?" She asked, sipping her drink.

"Um, about that. I actually didn't get it."

Kalani furrowed her brows, "What happened? You've had pitches ready for everything that could've happened."

"I didn't have one for David."