NINE - PORTRAITS

chapter nine

portraits.

- summer house

    "DO WE REALLY have to sit for our portraits?" jeremiah asked

"DO WE REALLY have to sit for our portraits?" jeremiah asked. ma, jere, steven and nora were all sitting in the kitchen, conrad however was hungover on the couch, moaning every once in a while.

"i don't know mi? maybe she needs out presence!" nora laughed.

"she needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence. while you're still young and full of hope," ma said. steven and jere laughed.

"well conrad has no hope, actually," steven mentioned.

"he's hopeless, but my hangover smoothie cures all," jere said, happily.

"can you please just hurry yp," conrad groaned from the living room.

"just go back to bed, alright!"

"okay, seriously, get out of my face steven. you're messing up my magic with your heavy breathing." jere complained, swatting at the oldest conklin. steven punched my shoulder when he heard me laugh.

   "susannah hasn't painted you all since you were little, i think it'd be nice to have these when you're older," laur said, looking at the two boys and girl. you could hear conrad moaning from the couch. steven brought up his complaints, but laurel shut him down.

   "i don't see conrad complaining!" she said.

   "he's hardly conscious mom," nora laughed. soon after, jere and steven rushed out of the house, tripping over eachother and yelling that they were going to be late.

————————————

   "ELEANOR," susannah said, motioning for the girl to come over to her. san was getting he paint ready, sitting on a barstool with a canvas propped in front of her.

   "i want you to go first, well, unless you have something really important." she said.

   "of course, i would love to," nora said. she walked over, sitting down in front of susannah. it was quiet for a moment while susannah started, then she spoke up.

   "nora, you know, you've always been like a true daughter to me. don't get me wrong, bels is the same way. but she never truly understood me. from the first day you got here, i knew you were going to be something incredibly special to me. i always knew. i knew by the way you'd play football in the yard with the boys and come inside ten minutes later to watch aladdin. you were so fierce, and such a sweet little thing. you've grown into yourself, and you know who you are. i am so incredibly proud of you. i love you more than my own boys," susannah said, inbetween strokes and brushes against the paper canvas.

"i love you too, santa. a lot. i miss you every year. i beg mom to let me come see your for christmas." both of them started to tear up.

"just know i am so, so proud of you and i love you more than you will ever know, now tell me some more about that miles," she smiled, looking up from her work.

"i don't know what's up with him! he's been weird for months. i really like him but he's kind of.."

"an asshole?" san interrupted.

"exactly. i just.."

"break up with him. it's not worth stressing about. just about every boy in cousins counts down the days until your back, they're on their knees for you. just, get a new boyfriend." she said

"okay. i see you santa," nora laughed.

"like jere!"

"no way, mom," nora protested, but she felt the blush.

"don't act like i can't see your blush, you can't fool me."

"i don't!"

"sure." the two stayed there, talking about nora life at home, belly, miles, nat, laur, summer, school, clothes, and to noras dismay, jeremiah.