TEN - DRESSES

chapter ten

dresses

- summer dress

   NORA KEPT HER SPOT on the stool while susannah walked into the house. they had been sitting there for a few hours and laurel has just yelled from the kitchen that there was mail. nora heard a yell, most likely susannah, and then shot up from her spot and rushed inside.

   "debs! nora and bels are going to be debs!" susannah said, a smile taking up her whole face.

   "belly, a deb? like my sister, the thing right there? like, nora i could see, but isabel?" steven mumbled. nora guessed both of the boys were back from work.

   "shut up cretin," belly said, annoyed.

   "oh my god! this is going to be so. much. fun! there's the tea, the auction, the ball, the rehearsal. we need to go shopping!" susannah said, her energy filling up the room

   "this sounds.. expensive," laurel spoke up, scrunching her nose.

   "if we can't afford it, bels can do it and i'll-" nora started to say before beck cut her off.

   "no, it's on me, both of you. it was my idea anyway." susannah said.

   "well, belly are you sure you want to do this? it doesn't seem very you," laur said, hesitant.

   "it's not." conrad said from the couch.

   "connie can you please be more supportive," susannah said.

   "well, what about nora?" steven asked.

   "she's been talking about this since the 2nd grade, i know she wants to do this," beck said, wrapping her arms around the girl.

   "now which one of you two are taking each of the girls to the ball?" she continued.

   "as much as i know jeremiah wants to take nor, i'm not going, i went last year," conrad said.

   "you know? pfft. i swore off balls," jere said mindlessly, causing giggles to erupt from the other teenagers.

   "the dances!"

   "wow guys! stop fighting over us," belly said.

   "right." nora said.

   "plus, i don't wanna go with either of you, im finding my own date," bels said.

   "i don't really know who i'm going with," nora mumbled, only the other 5 in the room noticed the look jere gave nora.

   "you're the only one that could change jeres mind, nora," beck whispered into the girls ear. she shook her head.

   from the kitchen table, laurel was on her laptop, "wikipedia says deb balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette."

   "'maybe we should teach nora some manners?" steven shrugged.

   "i'm going for a swim." conrad said, getting up from the couch and up to his room, probably to change.