Navy Blue: Chapter 29

The band stopped playing and a small crowd filed on stage. As Emily appeared in the last group to take their place, Finn felt some of the tension drain from his body.

With purpose, he moved towards her. As did the rest of the people at the party, gathering in front of the raised platform in a teeming sea of bodies. Finn found himself boxed in on all sides. He swallowed his panic and steadied his nerves. Emily was right there. He had eyes on her. No way could he lose her now.

Last in a long line of people, she stood behind an old man taking a microphone from one of the musicians. No sexy green silk this time. Instead, she wore another one of her modest knee-length dresses—this one black. Still, she was radiant in the bright light of the podium. Beside her, looking proud, Lance beamed.

A tall man with jet black hair nestled in on the other side of Emily. With the lack of space on the stage, he angled himself around her. He bent down and whispered something in her ear, touching her arm at the same time. Far too intimately for Finn.

She raised her hand to cover her smile and a small silver object hanging on a chain around her neck caught on the harsh lights, blinding Finn.

How could he have not noticed she still wore his charm? He cursed himself for not paying attention. Her love for him had been right there all along. He recalled many times when Emily played with her necklace, clutching it, moving it back and forth, holding it between her finger and thumb. Why had he not seen it?

Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome was still making Emily laugh, inching closer to her. Was he too late? Emily couldn't have moved on in a few days. Finn must have growled out loud as the woman beside him gave him a raised eyebrow. "Missed dinner," he muttered to cover his blunder.

Attention back on the stage, Mr. TDH's hand gripped Emily's elbow, helping her off the stage and to steady her in those high heels Finn recognized from the night at The Playground. His stomach rolled for the hundredth time over the events of that evening. Like on a ship in a storm, he braced his legs and pushed through the crowd, determined to reach her. He'd make this right.

They headed for the bar and the other man placed his broad hand on the small of her back, below the exposed creamy skin Emily's dress revealed. Finn picked up his pace, veered around people like a high school quarterback running for the winning touchdown. "Em."

Party-goers twisted and stared at his shout. Finn didn't care. This wasn't about what others thought. The only thing he cared about, the only person he cared about drifted away and he needed to paddle faster against the tide.

At last, Finn broke free of the masses and into the corner acting as a makeshift bar. "Em."

Her head jerked in his direction and he desperately hoped the flash of emotion on her face was something akin to excitement at the sight of him. His heart leapt at the quick curve of her lips, then sank as they dipped south. "Finn." Her eyes shifted to his shoulder. "What are you doing here?"

"I..." The block of wood in his throat threatened to strangle him. He swallowed and tried again. "Can I talk to you?" Eyes on Emily, he ignored the man who'd stepped behind her. "Alone."

"It's not a good time." Her gaze flickered to his. "I have to practice my speech."

"I only need a few minutes." There he went again, only thinking about himself. "But I can wait."

No one could miss the flinch, her shoulders jumping like a popped kernel of corn. Mr. TDH certainly didn't. "Emily, everything okay?"

The chin he loved lifted and like the calm after a storm, Emily regained her composure. "Yes. Give me a moment to speak to Petty Officer Wainwright."