Navy Blue: Chapter 31 - Eight Years Ago

"Mary, I can't!" Emily curled her fingers into fists to stop them from shaking. Her sister's demand warred with heart. There was no way she could leave.

Mary's voice shouted from inside the walk-in closet. "Aunt E needs you. She can't control Beth."

Her younger sister, Beth, had disappeared for two days this time. Aunt E needed help and their father had volunteered Emily as the best candidate. Mary had dubbed the mission Operations Sensible. Without consulting her, they all agreed Emily had to go to Japan to help rein Beth in.

"I get it." Emily stared at Mary as she brushed by, Emily's suitcase in tow. "But I can't leave. Finn-"

"Oh, Finn." Mary waved a hand in her direction. The suitcase bounced on her four-poster bed and Mary quickly undid the zipper. "Forget about Finn. This is your family."

"Mary." The anchor on the chain around her neck left an imprint on her thumb she squeezed it so tightly. "Let me make this perfectly clear to you. I will never forget about Finn." She put every ounce of conviction into her words. Her sister had to get this through her thick, prejudiced head. "He's in my life now and he's not going anywhere. We have... plans. Accept it."

Mary rolled her eyes as she placed one of Emily's dresses in the waiting suitcase. "Right, right. I get it. Finn's not a summer fling. He's your boyfriend." She air quoted the word boyfriend.

"Don't do that." Emily swatted at Mary's bent fingers. "Don't doubt my love for him."

The lemon patterned dress Mary was folding froze and her sister stared at her stilled hands. "You don't know what love is. You're too young."

She snatched the dress out of Mary's hands. "I may be young, but what I feel is love." Emily set the dress down, and taking Mary's shoulder, turned her. "And he loves me."

Blue eyes held hers for three long seconds, and Emily thought Mary finally understood. But then her chin jutted out and Mary shrugged out of her embrace. "You think that now. Give it time."

Emily abandoned the fight. Her sister, who flirted with every single man she met but never committed beyond the first date, must be unable to grasp the depth of her feelings for Finn. Or his for her. There was nothing Mary or anyone could do to make her doubt Finn, or vice versa.

This last-minute trip to Japan didn't sit right with Emily. Sure, sometimes she could get through to Beth. Her father was definitely a lost cause when it came to laying down the law. And Mary was more likely to encourage Beth's inappropriate behaviour. But why did it have to be her, always playing the role of substitute parent?

Not for the first time this week, Emily desperately wished she could have a conversation with her mother. She would know what to do. What to say to make everything go back to normal again? But hopes and wishes didn't make a thing come true. The reality was her mother wasn't here and someone had to step up for the family.

She resigned herself to boarding a plane to Japan. "I can't leave tonight. Finn doesn't get back until tomorrow."

In the bathroom, Mary tossed toiletries into Emily's cosmetics bag. "Just call your boyfriend and tell him you can't meet him at the bus station."

To relieve the building pressure in her head, Emily rubbed at her temples. "You know very well he doesn't have a cell phone. He's on the bus already."

At the mention of a bus, Mary squished up her nose in disgust. "How am I supposed to remember the neanderth-, sorry, your boyfriend's stuck in the dark ages. If he likes everything so old-fashioned, write him a letter."

"Don't be ridiculous." Emily crossed her arms. "Change the plane tickets. There has to be another flight tomorrow."

"Daddy pulled strings to get you on this flight." The toothbrush in Mary's hand bobbed in the air. "It's first class."

"I don't care if it's a private jet. There must be a later flight. I'm won't leave without talking to Finn."

"Emily." Mary abandoned the toothbrush, crossed the room, and sat Emily on the bed across from her. "Truth is, Daddy is having some cash flow issues again. He turned in a favour to get you this ticket. You must go now." Emily opened her mouth to protest. "I know. Finn. Write the letter. I will personally give it to him."

Money was a constant issue these days. Her father's spending seemed out of control. Another thing she would have to try to fix. Worry mixed with the guilt of wasting money and the apprehension of disappointing Finn. He'd only been gone for a few days, but she missed him desperately. Now she was agreeing to leave for two weeks. Her stomach rolled and her chest constricted.

Mary appeared earnest, and Emily nodded. What choice did she have?

Mary found a pen while Emily took out a piece of paper from her desk. She searched for the right words, hoping they would be enough.

Dear Finn,

I know you are wondering why my sister is giving you this letter. I've told you not to trust her in the past, but this one time I have to ask you to put that advice aside. There was just no other way I could ensure you got the message.

Mary can explain everything in detail. But I'm leaving town tonight for Japan. I know it's sudden and you will be disappointed in my decision, but I feel like I have no other choice. Please try to understand and don't be too upset. I'm sorry.

Running out of the room on the small slip of paper, Emily found a second sheet and continued scribbling. She had to explain to Finn what she felt.

I didn't want our summer together to end like this. I'm sorry I can't be there to kiss you when you step off the bus tomorrow. I've been looking forward to holding you in my arms again since the minute you left.

I'll call you the first chance I get from Japan. I can't quite work out the time change, but it might be late at night. Luckily, you'll be working at the Waterfront. My ticket is booked for a return date on Labour Day. Be packed bright and early, ready to start our new life together.

You have my heart, Finn. Please take care of it. I love you. Always.

Em

P.S. There is a part of me that's scared you won't trust this letter. Please, Finn, believe in me, believe in us. I believe in you. I love you.

Emily folded the two pages and placed a kiss on the outside. With shaking hands, she handed the note over to her older sister. "You'll give this to Finn right away?"

"Sure." Mary took the bundle from Emily's outstretched hand.

"Mary." Emily tugged on the note. "Finn is important to me. He won't understand at first. He'll be... upset I'm not there. Promise to explain everything."

Her older sister nodded. "He'll get the message. I promise."