𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓||𝑵𝒆𝒘 𝒑𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑨𝒓𝒔𝒂𝒍𝒂𝒏

Rubaab, with her heart unguarded, always embraced the opportunity to form connections. In the tranquil realm of Mirpurkhas, she cultivated numerous friendships, indulging in endless conversations. Her mother, often found in the kitchen, or by her father's side, became a steadfast presence she couldn't fathom being without.

Little did Rubaab anticipate the eventual departure of her parents, leaving her amidst the workers' symphony in the lounge. Her mother and aunt (phuppo) spared her the burden of household chores, allowing her an unusual reprieve.

As the clock struck 6 in the evening, the serene atmosphere was disrupted by the animated voices of a youthful group entering the lawn. Shouldering school bags, these vibrant souls engaged in lively discourse, likely returning from their academy. Her phuppo shared that, apart from her cousins, everyone partook in studies here.

Rubaab, stationed in her own thoughts, observed them. A boy, nearly her age, discerned her presence and queried, "So, you are the infamous Rubaab?" Unsettled by the term 'infamous,' she nodded, her heart brimming with hope for potential friendships.

"So, tum ho wo, jise hamari badi ammi as a charity le kar ain hai," he remarked, leaving Rubaab in disbelief, her eyes widened, and her mouth slightly ajar. "Aise nhi Kehte Rizwan! Kahin shikayat laga di to? Shakal se lagti hai Aisa hi karegi," a girl beside Rizwan spoke, sneering at Rubaab. Rubaab shrunk, her gaze directed downward.

(So you are the one who came as a charity?)
(Dont say anything, she looks like she will complain)

Rizwan, poised to continue, faced an interruption – a resounding smack from another girl. Waniya snickered, relishing the scene as Sana, the girl who hit Rizwan, addressed them sternly. "Kya masla hai... Kis wajah se fazool bate karrahe ho Rizwan, bataun chachu ko abhi," Sana chided both Waniya and Rizwan for their disrespectful conduct towards Rubaab.

(What is your problem? Why are you talking nonsense?)

"Kya Yar.... Har bar piche par jati ho... Jao nhi karraha phool ki pari se bat mai," Rizwan commented as he walked away into the home with Waniya and another girl, who continued to cast disdainful glances at Rubaab. "Or tum Rubaab, in logon ki baten na sunna, okay... Jo bhi ye log bolen, ulta moo tor jawab dena."

(Oh come on, you always quiten me down)
(And you, dont listen to them!)

Seated beside her, Sana offered counsel to Rubaab, who sniffled and nodded. In an instinctive act of compassion, Sana drew close, enveloping Rubaab in a comforting hug. "I was about to say, but apne keh dia... Thank you," Sana smiled warmly. "I'm your friend now... Or kisi fazool logon se bat na karna when I'm here, okay."

(Dont listen to any nonsense people)

Rubaab, touched by this newfound connection, expressed her gratitude through a nod. Sana, through vivid descriptions accompanied by pictures on her phone, acquainted Rubaab with each family member. In this moment, Rubaab found a sanctuary of understanding and acceptance.
______________

Haseena had also requested Arsalan to talk to Rubaab about the marriage before revealing it to everyone. Standing in front of her room door, he hesitated to knock. Unaware that the girl he sought to talk to was behind him, he had been standing there for a good 10 minutes, engrossed in his thoughts.

Finally, gathering the courage, he knocked swiftly and waited. "G bhai," he flinched hard upon hearing the voice behind him. Turning around, he was met with the angelic face of Rubaab. He was unaware that she had witnessed his internal struggle. She was adorned in a light peach-colored shalwar kameez with a peach dupatta draped over her neck, her hair in a low ponytail.

(Yes bhai)

He averted his gaze when he realized how shamelessly he had been staring at her. She, however, stood there dumbfounded, not fully comprehending why he was there. "Rubaab, kaisi ho. Mujhe kal time nhi mila milne ka," Arsalan smiled nervously at her. Rubaab returned his smile, "Mai theek hun! Mai kal so gai thi!"

(How are you, I couldn't meet you last night)
(Its okay, I was asleep)

Nodding, he scratched the back of his neck, finding it challenging to not look at her. She wasn't his mehram yet. "Let's talk somewhere else; I wanted to ask you something." Rubaab nodded and followed him towards the courtyard. Both settled on the charpai with a certain distance between them. Arsalan was the first to break the silence, "Ammi ne baat kari hogi... Hamari shadi ki?" He confidently asked, or at least he thought his voice sounded confident. It was, however, a mix of confidence and hesitation. Rubaab nodded.

(Ammi must have talked about marriage)

"Are you okay with this?" She looked at him with a small, almost invisible pout on her face and doe eyes. Observing her, his heart raced. She was a sight to behold and appreciate. She began talking, and he found it hard to concentrate while admiring her pinkish, chubby cheeks, pouty lips, and doe eyes filled with myriad emotions, innocence oozing from her.

Taking a deep breath to calm his heart, he tried to listen carefully to her blabbering. "Pata hai hume jab phuppo ne kaha k wo meri shadi apse karaengi to mujhe acha nhi laga qk ap bat hi nhi karte mujh se or ap mujhe bhot boring lagte ho or mujhe boring log pasand nahi hai. Mai chachu k pass nhi rehna chachti thi isle mai yahan ain to jab kai shadi karungi to apke sath rahungi to bor hojaungi lekin phuppo ne kaha k ap shadi k bad bolne lag jao ge to mai man gai..."

(I know when Phuppo said she would arrange my marriage with you, I didn't like it because you don't talk to me, and you seem quite boring. I don't like boring people. I didn't want to stay with Chachu, so I came here. When Phuppo said you would start talking after marriage, I agreed...)

She breathed again, and he looked at her with adoration, momentarily forgetting he should be offended by being called boring by his future wife. "Sahi kaha hai ammi ne... I'll talk to you lots after marriage." Rubaab nodded immediately, her words going somewhat unheard as Arsalan couldn't take his eyes off her.

(Ammi is right)

"Then... Mujhe lagta hai ab hume shadi karleni chahiye, right?" Rubaab said yes absentmindedly. Arsalan called her name, now wanting her to understand certain things. "Rubaab... Shadi fun ke lie nhi hoti sirf... Is mai bhot si responsibility aati hai... Bhot se bad moments ate hain, good moments bhi hote hain.. complications hoti hain.. larai hoti hai.... piyar hota hai..."

(Then we should marry hmm?)
(Rubaab, marriage is not only fun. It comes with responsibility, bad moments, good moments and alot of complications, there will be fights but so will love)

Rubaab's attention was on him, his words sounding like honey. Hearing about all these things made her a little worried. Looking into his eyes, she indicated for him to explain a little more. "In sab cheezon main, mai hamesha tumhare sath rahunga, tumhare, kabhi koi problem nahi ane dunga... hamesha piyar karunga... or khush rakhunga... kya tum same karogi meri jaan?"

(I will always be with you in these things, I wont give you any problem, I will lovee you and keep you happy, will you do the same love?)

Rubaab blushed, hearing the nickname he gave her. She nodded, and he, standing up, patted her head. "Then let's make each other happy and be each other's husband and wife! Okay, little girl?" She mumbled a little "okay." Turning around before giving her his signature smile, which now looked even more beautiful to her, he went downstairs, leaving her sitting there, unable to process what had just happened.

In the 17 years of her life, her parents allowed her to make as many friends as she wanted, but they were never in support of her having any male friends. Nor was she raised among her cousins. The feelings she was experiencing were new to her. She knew what blushing meant; she had seen it in dramas her mother used to watch. She knew the terms "husband" and "wife," but this little knowledge wasn't enough.

Being a wife of someone came with many experiences, both good and bad. She already had a family, like her chachu, and now the family of Arsalan. She prayed to Allah that whatever would happen, He would give her the strength to face it. At night, both Arsalan and Rubaab slept soundly, oblivious to the tornado heading towards their happiness.