𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑻𝒘𝒐 || 𝑰𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝑶𝒇 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

Being raised in a family where no one would be there to look after you wasn't easy; it certainly wasn't for Aliya, brought up by a single mother. She yearned for the presence of a father figure, yet her heart harbored resentment due to the hate that her mother had instilled in her from an early age.

When she learned about her impending union with Faizan, a fleeting spark ignited within her, only to dissipate as quickly as it appeared. She refused to jeopardize Faizan's life merely to fulfill her mother's desire for her to marry and secure an established husband. Such is the dilemma with desi mothers!

They insist on sacrificing one's life to care for a man who may not even acknowledge your efforts. Some may express gratitude, but a husband like Aliya's would likely not. Not every husband is the same, but in her observation, they all seemed similar, even her father, despite her lack of knowledge about his marital status.

In the early years of her mother's marriage, Aliya supported her husband in every aspect, yet in the end, all the hate seemed to gravitate towards her. The phrase "tali aik hath se nhi bajti" couldn't be ignored. Her father also bore fault, as no one in their family was a saint; they were all entangled in their own twisted ways.

Her mother was insistent on forcing her into marriage. If she were the old Aliya, she might have complied, but she had evolved. No longer the silent listener or the one to nod obediently at every wish, she had transformed into something she should have become long ago.

Currently, both her and Faizan's lives hung in the balance. She needed to take action, regardless of the consequences. Two weeks had passed since her conversation with her mother about marriage. Communicating with her mother wasn't an option, so she attempted to reach out to Haseena Begum. Unfortunately, she was preoccupied with preparations.

She sighed and settled with a hump. Encountering Faizan in the kitchen, she directly expressed her disinterest in marrying him, expecting the support of a lawyer and a sensible man. However, Faizan's response shocked her; he bluntly stated that his parents were thrilled about the alliance, and he couldn't dampen their happiness. Even as a lawyer, he refused to assist her—how ironic!

Perceiving it as mere teasing, Faizan, harboring feelings for her, remained undeterred. Unaware of the deep trouble she faced, Aliya found herself trapped. The nikkah loomed tomorrow amid the vibrant mayoon festivities. Faizan, as the elder brother with Arsalan, engaged in activities with his sister and cousin, excitedly participating in what they had missed during Arsalan's marriage.

Arsalan's situation was distinct, necessitating the nikkah due to Rubaab. Aliya, adorned with still-wet henna, sat on the bed, contemplating. The scent of henna intensified her headache. She considered washing it off but refrained, not wanting to disappoint her younger cousin.

Overwhelmed with emotion, Aliya felt the urge to cry. No one was there for her, and while she had never been reliant on others, she yearned for someone to lend an empathetic ear. Holding onto a glimmer of hope that the wedding could be halted, she found herself entrenched in despair on her mayoon day.

Perhaps divine intervention occurs in dire times. As she mourned her impending nikkah, the door creaked open, revealing Rubaab with a plate of biryani. Rubaab, animatedly discussing the enjoyment of the festivities, placed the plate on the side table. "Acha chore, ab ye khaen na...mujhe ammi ne kaha mai apke pass khana le aun. Even though mujhe nhi pata tha k ap qourma khaengi ya biryani lekin biryani sab sabse pehle khate hain to mai wo le ai.." Rubaab turned to Aliya, noticing her somber demeanor and unshed tears.

(Okay leave it, ammi asked me to give you food so I brought you biryani, i didn't know what you wanted to eat)

Gasping, Rubaab sat beside Aliya, holding her hand. "Api...ap roo kyun rahi ho? Mai Anabia phuppo ko bulaun?" she inquired, ready to summon Anabia phuppo. Attempting to rise, Aliya stopped her, initiating a cascade of tears. "R-rubaab...I-i don't wanna marry” she confessed. Confused, Rubaab asked, "Kya matlb...apko shadi nhi karni to phir kya karna hai?" Aliya, desperate, clarified, "n-nhi...karni shadiii." Her tone dripped with desperation, a side of Aliya that was unfamiliar to Rubaab.

(Why are you crying alia api?)
(What do you mean you dont wanna marry?)
(No, I dont)

"M-mai n-nhi karna c-chahti thi...Ammi is forcing me, Rubaab....please do something... please help me... Please help me elope, Rubaab..." Gasping at the audacious request, Rubaab, aware of the complexities within their family, voiced her hesitation. "Nhi...api kya hogaya!! agar kisi ko pata chal gaya to? Nhi Mai nhi karsakti!!" she exclaimed, torn between her desire to help and the fear of consequences.

(I dont want to)
(No api,what if anyone got to know?)

Attempting to comfort Aliya, she wiped away tears. "Right, Rubaab...and I thought that you'll be different than others...but no, who even cares for my happiness?" Aliya's words carried an undertone of manipulation, exploiting Rubaab's compassionate nature.

"Aisa nhi hai api...I care for you, but agar kisi ko pata chal gaya than we both will be doomed-” Rubaab's sentence was interrupted as Aliya insisted, "No one will point you, Rubaab...kisi ko nhi chale ga...aj raat I'll go somewhere... taking some money with me..."

(No api, I do care for you but if anyone got to know, we both will be doomed)
(No one will know, I will go somewhere)

Acknowledging the gravity of the situation, Rubaab reluctantly nodded. "I'll take my old mobile with me...Rubaab I'll msg you my another number, okay..kisi ko nhi batana or han...thank you, Rubaab...dont feel guilty, you are saving mine and Faizan's life." As Aliya plotted her escape, Rubaab couldn't shake the internal conflict, torn between empathy and the impending chaos.

(Do not tell anyone)

Retreating to her room without encountering Arsalan, Rubaab grappled with the weight of the secret. In the stillness of the night, when everyone slept, Aliya embarked on a journey dreaded by parents—the day they hope never to witness. Unbeknownst to her, the darkness held unforeseen challenges as she eloped, setting in motion a cascade of events that would change the course of her life.