CHAPTER 14: Andrea

It was close to noon when I finished the laundry, and Mrs. Verna wasted no time in serving me lunch by the wash area. We sat down to eat together, and as always, Mrs. Verna had a treasure trove of stories to share. We lost track of time, engrossed in her tales. She regaled me with memories of her debut, describing the lavish preparations her parents had made, including her mother hand-sewing the exquisite pink gown she wore. It took nearly a year to complete. Being the only girl among six siblings, Aling Verna's parents spared no expenses for her debut. That night was the pinnacle of happiness for her, as she danced with her adored father and her younger brothers. But, as is often the pattern, joy was swiftly followed by sorrow. Aling Verna's father tragically lost his life in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident after dropping off her uncle in town. This heartbreaking incident not only robbed her of her beloved father but also ended her own pursuit of education as she stepped in to support her younger siblings.

As I listened to Mrs. Verna's life story, a deep sense of sadness washed over me. Among the three mothers at the center, Mrs. Verna was always the cheerful one, the joker among the volunteers. Yet, behind her infectious laughter, I could sense the profound sadness and grief stemming from the hardships she had endured since her father's passing.

Our conversation was abruptly interrupted by a teenage boy, a student-volunteer at the center, who informed me that Mrs. Garcia wished to see me in her office after lunch. The gravity of the situation was palpable on Aling Verna's face, even though she tried her best to conceal it. Knowing Mrs. Garcia was aware of our impending discussion, I caught Mrs. Verna forcing a smile when she noticed me looking at her.

"Your adoption by Fr. Jowie will proceed as planned. Just like the other children here at the center, you will be leaving," Mrs. Garcia gently shared.

"Even though we will be adopted by Fr. Jowie, you will always be one of our three mothers, alongside my brother Oteph. Nothing will change, and we will still visit you here," I reassured her, trying to muster a smile.

"Thank you, my dear one. Flora, Teresa, and I are also thrilled that Fr. Jowie chose to bring you to the center. Most of the children here dream of having a family of their own. So Fr. Jowie is truly fortunate to have you and to invite you into his family."

"Oh, Mrs. Verna, it is Oteph and I who consider ourselves fortunate to have my godfather welcoming us into his home. And then, to have met you here at the center, where you have treated us like your own children. How incredibly lucky are we? What more could we ask for?" I warmly replied as I started to clean up our dishes.

Mrs. Verna nodded, her smile radiating warmth. She approached me and enveloped me in a tight embrace.

"No matter where you and Oteph end up, please never forget us, okay?" she whispered, holding me close.

"Of course not. Oteph and I will never forget you. Besides, Fr. Jowie's house is just a few meters away from the center. You can visit us anytime, or we can even arrange for Mama Flora and Ms. Teresa to come along," I assured her.

"Oh yes, I seem to have forgotten how close Among's house is. My apologies. I may have gotten a little carried away with watching K-dramas on TV, and it seems a dash of their dramatic flair has rubbed off on me," she chuckled, breaking free from our embrace.

"So, you've become a fan of K-dramas, huh?" I teased, eager to lighten the mood.

"Oh, yes, my child," she chuckled, her excitement palpable. "Whenever I see Jung Kyu, oh my, I get so thrilled, especially in scenes with Park Shin Yeng," she added.

Surprised by the names she mentioned, I took a moment to gather my thoughts before responding. "Who is Jung Kyu and Park..."

Interrupting me eagerly, she interjected, "Park Shin Yeng. They are the main actors in 'Moonlight Over Flower.' It feels like I've gone back to my teenage years, like the time of Sheryl and Romnick, or the love team of Manilyn and Jano."