Chapter 11: SURPRISE

I immediately followed Pidoy, filled with concern after he informed me about Oteph. He halted in front of the entrance to the Mess hall, appearing nervous as he glanced at me.

"He's inside Mrs. Verna's room. They've been trying to reach you at the church, but you and Fr. Jowie had already left," Pidoy explained, his hands trembling.

"What happened?" I inquired with a shaky voice while opening the door. However, as I looked at the child, he abruptly ran away.

I was taken aback by the unfolding events. I sensed that there was a surprise awaiting me at the center. My worry dissipated because I had witnessed similar scenes before, especially at school during our advisor's birthday, when students would plan pranks just to surprise the teacher. There would be feigned arguments or a student feigning unconsciousness, only for the well-behaved students who orchestrated the event to call the teacher. Subsequently, the teacher would go along with the prank and pretend to be surprised at the prepared birthday party. It seemed likely that Oteph had informed Mama Flora about my birthday, prompting them to go to such lengths.

I decided to play along with their plan, if indeed they were attempting to surprise me on my birthday. However, what if Pidoy's words held truth? Lord, I prayed that it wouldn't be the case. Even without a celebration, as long as nothing untoward happened to my brother, that would be enough.

Yet, it perplexed me why, if something truly unfortunate had occurred with Oteph, it would be in the Mess hall. They could have chosen a room or the center's clinic instead. Taking a deep breath, I turned the doorknob. Now, I was certain that a surprise had been prepared for me at the center. I resolved to pretend to be genuinely surprised by their efforts. It would be a shame to waste all their hard work. Moreover, the last time my birthday was celebrated was when Mama Luisa was still alive. After Mama's passing, there were no more celebrations.

I gently pushed open the door to the Mess hall, only to find that the anticipated surprise was nowhere to be seen. No one was there. Where was Oteph? Anxiety resurfaced within me.

"Oteph!" I called out to my sibling.

Pidoy had stated that Oteph was inside with Aling Verna. However, there was no sign of them.

"Oteph, where are you? Pidoy said you're inside Mrs. Verna's room," I called out to my sibling once again.

But there was no response from Oteph, causing my concern to magnify. I began to wonder if Pidoy was merely playing a trick on me. Despite his penchant for volunteering for prayers, he was known to be mischievous. That boy would face my ire if this turned out to be a prank. It was disheartening to think that I had believed they had organized a surprise for my birthday, only to be fooled by Pidoy.

I decided to go to my room first to freshen up and change my clothes. Maybe Oteph is there, playing with the other kids who are close to him. Fortunately, I didn't have high expectations. Oteph and I have only been at the center for a few days, and I realize that the needs of the children here are more important than spending money to celebrate my birthday.

"Happy 18th birthday to you, Drew," I wished myself. "Hey, self, thanks," I replied sadly, almost feeling a bit crazy.

I turned slowly to leave the Mess hall when I heard the door behind me open.

"Ate!" Oteph called out loudly.

Upon hearing my brother's voice, I quickly turned around and saw him standing there, bringing immense joy to me. Oteph was all dressed up in an American-style outfit, smiling at me by the door.

"Oteph?" I happily responded.

I faced him as he ran toward me.

"Happy birthday, Ate," he greeted me with a big smile, handing me a red rose and planting a kiss on my cheek.