Chapter 6: A DECISIONS MADE

"Andrea, what led you to imprison your own father? It's understandable for parents to discipline their children, especially when they've misbehaved. But there's a clear line between discipline and excessive abuse," Lola (grandmother) Meding, my father's mother, exclaimed with anger. I remained silent, aware that she would take my father's side.

"With all due respect, Mother, you're right that parents should discipline their children when necessary. However, discipline should never involve beating them severely. Our laws protect children from harm, especially through excessive abuse," Mrs. Rowena Garcia, the representative from the Social Welfare, explained while casting a disapproving gaze at our father, who seemed ashamed and avoided eye contact with me. "...aren't parents supposed to protect their children, even from harm inflicted by their own stepmother?"

"That's not true, ma'am. I've treated them as my own children. It's hurtful that despite my kindness towards them, this is how they repay me?" Aunt Alma interjected, tears streaming down her face.

"That child has a stubborn nature, ma'am. He's a habitual liar, which is why he's fabricating these stories," Grandma Meding stated to the Social Welfare representative, referring to me.

"My sister is not a liar! Aunt Alma and Dad are wicked! I witnessed him beating up my sister! Aunt Alma constantly targets my sister even when she's done nothing wrong," Oteph cried out upon hearing Grandma Meding's words.

Mrs. Garcia, looked at Grandma with disappointment written all over her face.

"Why don't you tell the truth, Andrea? Your father resorted to hurting you because you attempted to harm me. You pointed a knife at my throat simply because I scolded you for coming home late, something you frequently do. I was only concerned for your well-being, as I promised your father that I would treat you and your sibling as my own children. But regardless of my efforts, you refuse to accept me." She burst into tears again, a display I knew was insincere. Aunt Alma was truly wicked, she's a professional liar.

"You always hurt me! Both you and Dad! You're the liar!" Oteph retorted angrily. I knew my brother was furious and wanted to defend me against them. I refrained from saying anything further, as I had already provided my statement to the Social Welfare earlier. Additionally, I had visited the hospital to have my swollen mouth and bruised hip examined.

The police officers investigating the incident continued to listen attentively, considering every perspective, especially ours as siblings. It felt as though Oteph and I had no allies except for the compassionate female social worker who had been assigned to us.

"Well, children are typically not adept at lying, ma'am, especially when there is physical evidence of the beatings and wounds inflicted upon them. You have no chance because the law holds those who harm and abuse children accountable. If your child files a case against you, rest assured you won't stand a chance, particularly if there are witnesses to corroborate the boy's account of the abuse," one police officer explained from his seat in the cramped police office.

"That's me!" I recognized a familiar face entering the police station and locking eyes with me.

"Grandma Rosa..." I whispered softly upon seeing our loving and caring neighbor.

"I will testify about how that wicked woman mistreated these two children. I will also share the details of Andrea's beatings by his father," Grandma Rosa bravely spoke out to the police and the Social Welfare representative. Tears welled up in my eyes again. For the first time, I felt as though someone was standing up for us siblings.

"Don't believe her, officers. She's our neighbor who enjoys making up stories, even if they're completely false," Aunt Alma angrily retorted.

"And who are you, ma'am?" The second police officer questioned, investigating the situation.