Chapter 5: WALTER

I locked myself in my room as soon as we arrived home. My chest felt heavy, as if it were about to burst. My mother was gravely concerned, and I knew she stood outside my bedroom door, longing to accompany me during this sorrowful phase of my life.

I lay down on my bed, still engulfed in tears. I had an overwhelming urge to scream, to release the sadness and anger that consumed me. I couldn't fathom why Sam had turned down my marriage proposal. She professed her love for me, so why the rejection? I was willing to wait, to support her in pursuing whatever she desired in life. But why did she turn away and disregard the years of love and companionship we shared? Did it hold no value for her?

Gentle taps on the door shattered the silence, and I knew it was my mother. I was aware she could hear my sobs from within.

"Son, open the door. Mom will be here for you," my mother implored, persistently knocking.

I chose not to respond, yearning for solitude. I wanted to reflect on why Sam had left me. Had I rushed things? Did she dislike the way things were set up? Or perhaps...

"She has someone else now," I murmured, words I hesitated to even contemplate or utter, knowing they would only inflict greater pain upon me.

I remembered that the engagement ring, intended for Sam's finger, still rested in my pocket. I reached for it, retrieving it from the depths of my pants pocket, and examined it closely. Time seemed to stretch on...

"Child, please allow me to accompany you," my mother pleaded once more, her presence unwavering at my bedroom door.

I knew my mother wept as well, and guilt washed over me, realizing the impact this ordeal had on them.

"Bro, please open the door. Mom and I will be by your side," my older brother Caleb interjected, a pillar of support as the eldest among us siblings.

Perhaps he had accompanied my mother and shared in her concern for me. Truth be told, I had never shed tears over anything in my entire existence. My mother once shared an anecdote from my childhood—a tale of countless falls from my bike, resulting in bleeding cuts on my legs and hands, yet I remained tearless. I couldn't recall the last time I wept since I gained understanding.

But now, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't halt the flow of my tears. Why was I crying over Sam's rejection of my love? Was our entire relationship merely an act, a façade of love that endured for far too long? Was it wrong for me to desire a lifetime with her?

"I'm okay, Mom, bro! Don't worry about me!" I retorted, raising my voice.

"Child, I know you're not okay! Please let Mom in. I can't find solace knowing you're in distress," my mother insisted. Her tone conveyed her tears and mounting worry.

I rose from my position on the bed, attempting to suppress my tears and wipe the moisture from my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I exhaled slowly, releasing the weight that burdened my chest. With measured steps, I advanced towards the door of my room. Gripping the doorknob with my finger, I turned it and swung the door open.

Facing me as I opened the door was my dear mother, her eyes also filled with tears, accompanied by my older brother, Caleb.

"Walter, my son!" my mother exclaimed, enfolding me in her embrace without hesitation.

In that moment, a surge of tears overwhelmed me, magnified by the unwavering support of my family. From the living room, my two younger sisters, Kaycee and Kaylene, observed with sorrowful gazes.

"Mama, it hurts... Why does it hurt so much?!" I managed to convey, my words weighed down by the ache in my chest.

As my mother tightened her hold on me, I felt the comforting pat of my brother's hand on my back.