Chapter 12: Debutant

This moment feels like pure joy, a memory that will remain etched in my heart forever. Little did I know that my godfather, Fr. Jowie had orchestrated a grand surprise birthday celebration, with preparations secretly underway for whole day. To ensure my absence from the center for an extended period, he kindly asked me to assist in decorating the church and tidying his office.

Fr. Jowie went above and beyond by renting a magnificent sound system, creating an immersive atmosphere that elevated the excitement of my birthday. The children in the center, even though it was their designated sleep time, gleefully abandoned their beds. They not only enjoyed the delicious feast but also experienced the thrill of dressing up as princes and princesses, engaging in lively play and dance.

Throughout the evening, waves of emotions washed over me, bringing tears of joy to my eyes when our kind neighbor Grandma Rosa appeared, engulfing me in a warm and tight embrace. Aware that mentioning my father Rudy would dampen the festivities, she skillfully avoided the topic. I, too, refrained from asking about him, as I wasn't ready to confront those emotions just yet.

"Now, let us call our radiant debutante, Andrea Agustin, to the center of the dance floor for the enchanting Eighteen Roses," announced the unfamiliar yet friendly emcee at the birthday program. I later learned that she was one of the center's dedicated staff members.

As I made my way towards the center of the grand hall, constructed of sleek concrete, my heart raced with nervous and excitement. Every eye in the room fixated upon me, and for the first time in my life, the gentle fabric of a gown adorned my frame.

"Now, let us invite Mr. Joseph Terrence Agustin to share the first dance with our exquisite debutante. Let's give him a round of applause, children," announced the effervescent emcee.

From the center of the hall, I spotted Oteph, radiating happiness as he approached with a smiling face, clutching a plastic rose in his tiny hand. An overwhelming surge of joy invaded my being as I watched him draw near, ready to be my first dance partner of the night. In a princely manner, he bowed before me and presented me with the rose.

"Happy birthday, Ate," he whispered, still harboring a hint of shyness.

Gratitude filled my heart as I accepted the tenderly offered rose, our sworn unspoken bond cemented in that precious moment. I reciprocated his gesture, lowering myself for him to plant a gentle kiss on my cheek. Tears welled in my eyes, witnessing the remarkable transformation of my young brother within the few days since arriving at the center. I marveled at his newfound ability to smile without the shackles of fear.

"May I have this dance, Ate?" he asked, brimming with uncontainable joy. I wondered who had taught him to be such a gentleman that evening.

I clasped his hand, his left enveloped within mine, while his right firmly settled upon the small of my back. My left hand gracefully rested upon his shoulder, and together, we traversed the dance floor, swaying as if we were the prince and princess of a fairytale.

"I hope I have brought you joy on your birthday, Ate. You always seem so sad," he whispered, his words nearly drowned by the lively music emanating from the enchanting sound system.

"Indeed, you have blessed me with immense joy, Oteph. But my happiness is intensified by witnessing your own radiant joy," I replied, cherishing every step of the dance. I lost count of the number of times Oteph accidentally stepped on my aching feet, but such trivial discomfort paled in comparison to the profound connection we shared on that dance floor.

"Yes, Ate, I am so happy too. All the other children are thrilled because this is their first time they have experienced such a celebration at the center," Oteph expressed affectionately. "I hope we can have more moments like these, Ate. With plentiful food and playing together like we did today."