CHAPTER 16: WALTER

It is nearly dusk as my mom and I leave the mall, our shopping bags filled with items for my room makeover. I realize that it's the perfect opportunity to visit Omar's place and apologize for the hurtful words I said to him last night, although I haven't mentioned this plan to my mom.

As we park the car in front of Omar's house, I notice that it is dark and there are no lights on. My mom also remarks on the absence of any activity inside. Worried, I take out my cell phone and try calling him, hoping for a response. However, Omar doesn't answer, further fueling my concern. He has always been there for me, patiently listening to my frustrations, and absorbing my anger. Perhaps I have finally pushed him too far.

"Maybe his family went out of town," my mom suggests, trying to provide a reasonable explanation.

"Just hold on, mom. Let me try calling him again," I respond, not wanting to give up just yet.

I persist in trying to reach Omar, dialing his number multiple times, but to no avail. Finally, I decided that I would have to speak to him at school to understand why he hasn't been responding. It's unusual for him to ignore my calls, and I can't help but wonder if he's still angry with me or if something else is going on in his life causing his silence.

Putting my phone down, I signal to my mom that it's time for us to go home and rest. She gets in the car while I take one last glance at Omar's darkened house. The worry for my friend intensifies, knowing he hasn't reached out since last night. Just as I'm about to climb into the car, my cell phone suddenly rings. However, the caller is displayed as an unknown number, leaving me curious about who it could be. I answered the call immediately, eager to find out who it might be.

"Hello?" I greeted, waiting to hear a response. However, there was silence on the other end.
"Hello? May I know who is calling, please?" I inquired once more, yet still no answer.

I pulled the cell phone away from my ear and examined the screen. The number displayed was unfamiliar to me, adding to the mystery.

"Could it be Omar, son?" Mama asked, seeking clarification.

"I'm not sure, Mom. He isn't responding," I informed her. "And I don't recognize the number," I added.

Placing the phone back to my ear, I desperately wanted to know who was calling. Suddenly, Sam crossed my mind, and I recalled the incident at the restaurant earlier.

"Sam?" I called out, hoping for a response.

After uttering that name, the caller abruptly ended the call. I knew it had to be Sam who had called. Our shared experiences meant that he wouldn't easily forget me.

I caught Mama's gaze, unsure if she had heard me mention Sam's name. Attempting to convey a sense of normalcy, I mustered a smile in her direction. Slipping my cell phone into my pocket, I climbed into the car.

"I'll just talk to Omar on Monday. Maybe he went back to his in-laws," I informed Mama, who remained fixated on me.

"I don't think he knows you're planning to come here today," Mama remarked.

"That's why I was hoping they would be here, especially since their house is conveniently close to the mall," I responded as I started the car. "I had planned to visit their place tomorrow, but since we're already here, it would be better to take a break tomorrow."

"Perhaps you can try calling him again once we're back home," Mama suggested.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'll do when we get home," I agreed, commencing our drive.

After a twenty-minute drive, we arrived at our house. The lights were already on, indicating that my sisters had made it home before us. I parked the car in the garage, and Mama helped me unload the items we bought from the mall.