Chapter 6 - An Urgent Request: Abydos

...

Jane...

...Thanks, Josh!

Hey Josh, let's go hang out!

...what is this? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!

Nothin' personal, Joshy boy.

...you piece of shit.

No hard feelings, man. We just want that bounty.

Ricky, stop!

I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU RICK!

The CEO of Galveston Enterprises was found dead this morning...

I'd like to see you try~

You're done for Joshy boy!

STOP!

I'll kill you, you bastard, even if it's the LAST THING I DO!

Images flash by in my head, rapidly.

One horrible memory after another.

Each one seemingly worse than the last.

Over.

And over.

And over...

AND OVER!

AND OVER!!!

Until... A new memory appears.

One filled with calmness, yet sorrow.

Rain falls. The world is engulfed in greyness.

My body lays helpless and unmoving on the cold, wet concrete.

The Shittim Chest lays next to me, darkened, it's screen pierced by three bullet holes.

A young woman stands above me.

Her long, silver hair cascades down her back.

Her grey and blue dress billows in the wind, the rain seemingly not dampening it at all.

The wolf ears atop her head are lowered, matted to her head in sadness.

Her halo, cracked, blackened and broken, hangs above her head.

Her black assault rifle remains on her back as she points a simple pistol directly at me.

Her face is filled with anguish, sorrow, dread, concern, worry, horror, despair, fear...

TERROR.

And as her trigger finger twitches, ever so slightly...

—————

I shoot up out of bed, eyes wide and frantic. I look around the room quickly, darting my head back and forth, looking for any would-be attackers.

Where am I?! Did one of those assholes kidnap me again?! None of this is familiar!

Slowly, ever so slowly, I begin to remember. About Kivotos, Schale and my students.

"Sensei! Are you alright?!" Arona shrieks in fright and concern, appearing on the tv, lighting up my previously darkened room. "Your heartrate just shot way up!"

"I... I'm fine..." I say, trying to calm the tiny AI, as I place a hand on my chest, hoping to calm myself down. "It was just a nightmare. Nothing new..."

My heartbeat soon slows to normal, as does my breathing.

"Well, I'm glad it wasn't something worse." Arona says, still a tad shaken.