Chapter 59 - Not so VIRTUAL SINGER

...

After that mess of a mission out at sea, I plopped straight into my bed after getting home. It was already nighttime, after all.

This morning, though... Something feels off. I don't exactly know what, but something feels very wrong. It's a weird nagging sensation I keep getting. It's bothered me throughout the morning.

The weird feeling culminated when I got a text from an unknown account. Especially strange, considering Momo Talk doesn't allow unknown accounts.

Something is off.

Are you the Sensei from Schale?

That I am. Who might this be?

Shush. I can't tell you right now.

I have a request for you, the problem solver of Kivotos, and the Sensei the students trust and depend on.

Please come to the place I designated after sunset.

Do not tell anyone about this!

This is hella sketchy.

But fine, I'll be there.

Thank you.

And with that, the rest of the day seemed to fly by, as though it never happened.

—————

Sunset arrived, seemingly immediately after that text. I stood in a darkened corner of the DU as the sun had set, and the sky with still a dark, dark blue. Fortunately, I made sure to pack my pistol with me, just in case.

The sound of footsteps hit my ears, as I hear a voice.

"You're here. I've been waiting for you."
The feminine voice is... strange. It has a sort of artificial quality to it. Plus, it's strangely familiar.

"I know that message must have aroused suspicions when I chose not to identify myself or clarify why I was reaching out to you. Thank you for trusting in me." The mysterious girl says.

Trust? My hand's hovering over a pistol right now.

"I didn't want to do things like this, either, truth be told." She admits, her form almost indescribable amongst the shadows. "But I didn't have a choice. I couldn't risk anyone else knowing about this."

As the girl steps from the shadows, I pause to rub my eyes to make sure I'm not hallucinating.

Out from the shadows steps a girl the spitting image of fucking Hatsune Miku.

She has the trademarked green eyes and long hair done up in twintails. Her left twintail has a simple band on it, but the right has a large, white bow and a glitchy decoration around it, which I can only assume is a halo of sorts. She wears a dark blue and white sailor uniform top that's sleeveless and a similarly colored, puffy skirt complete with a big, white bow on her lower back. She has a white, puffy band around her right wrist and her feet are covered by white platform heel shoes. Her left ankle has a dark blue bow tied to a white band. In her hands is a white and dark blue t-shirt cannon.

She flashes me a megawatt smile upon coming into view.

"Okay, what kind of fever dream is this?" I ask, blinking in confusion.

"Do you recognize me?" She asks.

"Either you're Hatsune Miku, or a damn good cosplayer." I say, still struggling to comprehend this nonsense. This is nonsense above the usual in Kivotos.

"Well, you're right. I'm Hatsune Miku, the virtual idol." She- Miku greets with a big smile. "I carry the dreams in people's hearts and deliver them in songs for anyone who'll listen. I was designed to be software who could sing for anyone and everyone."