Chapter 37 - Down Time XI

...

About two days after the date with and confession from Hoshino, I received a text from Serina, one of the nurses who tended to me in the hospital after Binah ran away like a bitch.

Health is wealth, Sensei.

You shouldn't overwork yourself. Take a break once in a while.

:D

I try not to push myself too hard, but I've got a pretty big backlog.

Ah...

Okay. I'll remember that.

...

In more ways than one...

...What the hell does that mean? As I try to figure out, my stomach grumbles. Groaning, I stand up and walk to the kitchen.

...Fuck. It's empty.

"Arona. I'm going to the grocery."

—————

Walking through the cool morning air to the grocery store, I decide to take a longer path through the park. It's nice out, so why not?

The air is nice and refreshing... makes me kinda thirsty.

As I do, I suddenly come across...

"Serina?" I ask, surprised to see her.

She's a pretty short girl with short, bubblegum pink hair and pink-brown eyes. Her hair is tied into a side ponytail with a red ribbon and she has a white nurse's hat with a red cross on top. Her outfit consists of a dress that comes to her mid-thigh and resembles a school uniform at the top, the whole thing colored white with pink detailing. She wears a grey skirt underneath which leads down to her white leggings which completely cover her legs. She has on short, dark brown boots with dark red soles and has a similarly colored purse slung around her hip. Her halo is a pale golden ring with additional parts on the top/bottom and left/right that make it resemble a cross. Inside of the halo are two near-half circles. Separating them are two triangles pointing inwards pointing towards a circle in the halo's center. She also has a white and pink assault rifle around her back.

"Hey, Sensei! Fancy meeting you here." She says, cheerful as usual. "Are you out for a walk or something?"

"Nah, I'm goin' to the grocery, but it felt nice so I decided to take a longer route." I explain.

"Well, I'm glad to see you taking care of yourself." She says happily.

"What're you doin' here?" I ask.

"Oh! Uh, I was just..." She says, nervously.
Suddenly, a group of kids come up and start thanking Serina for something or another. She awkwardly giggles. "It's nothing. I was just helping these kids out because they looked like they needed it."

"She got my balloon out of the tree!" One little girl with a halo above her head tells me.

"She patched me up when I got hurt playing ball! She's the best!" Another says.

"Come on, hurry!" A girl in the distance yells, causing the two little ones to run off.

Serina awkwardly chuckles this time. "This is a little embarrassing. Really, it's nothing..."

"I'd say it is." I protest. "You're a kind person, after all."

"I don't think I'm and kinder than the average person. Besides, I'm a Remedial Knight, after all." She argues. "Helping people and putting smiles on their faces is all the satisfaction I need." She says with a bright smile.