Chapter 11

Pushing the thought of Austin at orientation from her mind, Jennifer turned back to her computer and took a deep breath. She had to get Cynthia's work done before she could prepare for orientation. The cursor blinked at her to hurry up as her brain meandered around Austin's beautiful face and what she assumed was a great body under those suits. She took a drink of cold water trying not to think about it.

"Jenny!" Selena said as she bounced into her office and slammed the door.

"Ah!" She spit the water in her mouth all over the desk. "Selena! You scared the crap out of me."

"So-rry!" she said not looking sorry at all as she plopped into the chair across from her. "I was waiting for Dragon Lady to leave so I could talk to you but then your door was shut."

"Yeah, I was helping Austin learn the new hire process," she said wiping up the water with napkins from a desk drawer.

"Ooo, was it romantic?" Selena asked making a kissing face.

"No, it was completely professional," Jennifer said, rolling her eyes at her friend. "The way I like it."

"Good to know," Selena said, winking.

"Se-lee-na!" she said, throwing the napkins out and turning back to her computer. "What do you need? I don't have time to talk about Austin."

"But that's what I'm here for," Selena said with a grin. "Destiny got some dirt on him that I thought you'd want to know."

"No, I don't want to know anything about him," Jennifer said, keeping her eyes on the computer screen. "Especially from Destiny."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Selena said all laughter gone from her voice. "You don't like Destiny? Even after she gave you such a great makeover?"

"No, Destiny is lovely," she said, feeling guilty. She was being ridiculous. She didn't want to offend Selena. She was very protective of her girls. "I just mean that I need to get back to work."

"Are you jealous that Destiny was talking to Austin?" Selena never could take a hint.

"Of course not!" Jennifer said, hoping her dang cheeks would stay their normal color. Tomorrow she was putting on more foundation. "I have no reason to care who Austin talks to. I just met the guy!"

"Yes, but you've been turning down my attempts to give you make-up for months and now suddenly you are open to it," Selena said, leaning forward again with a sly little grin. "Anyway, he was asking Destiny about you."

"What?" Jennifer said unable to keep her eyes on her work. She felt a grin spread across her face. She looked at Selena but stopped herself from squealing. "He asked about me?"

"See, now you want to know the dirt!" Selena said with a victorious laugh.

"But why would he ask Destiny about me?" She wanted to know everything.

"Because he saw you with her at the counter this morning and must have assumed you are friends," Selena said with a shrug. "I don't know, honey, but he wanted to know how long you had been here and what your story was."

"What my story was?" Jennifer didn't think she had a story. "What did she tell him?"

"She told him that you are very nice and a lot more helpful than our HR manager," Selena said, practically beaming with pride.

"That's it?" she asked not sure what she expected but her story sounded pretty dry and boring.

"Well, she doesn't really know anything else about you, Jenny!" Selena said with exasperation. "Now, if he had asked me, I would have said you work too much and need to have more fun."

"I have fun," she said suddenly defensive of her now seemingly sad story.

"Staying home and reading at night with your asthmatic and diabetic cats doesn't sound like much fun to me, darling." Selena had said it before but now it seemed pathetic.

"I'm tired after work and like to relax," Jennifer explained but not with much heart. She used to be Selena's definition of fun. She would sneak into bars when she was underage. She would drink beer with her teammates and dance with different boys every night. Then there had been that special boy that she decided everything was worth risking for. But he wasn't. And since then, fun didn't seem so fun anymore. "I need to stay focused on my work so I can get promoted and get that tuition reimbursement."

"I know that tuition is very important to you, Jenny, but living your life is, too," Selena said gently. "Look, yes, you probably aren't cut out to be a lifer at retail but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it a little bit while you are here."

Jennifer felt bad. She tried hard not to show how much she hated her job or retail in general. She didn't want Selena or the others to think that she didn't value what they did even though it wasn't what she wanted to do with her life. She obviously hadn't hidden her real feelings very well.

"You're right, Selena," she answered. "I do need to loosen up. Thanks for being such a good friend."

"Ah, you know I love you, girl, right?" Selena stood up and gave her a big hug. "I'm sorry I can't stay and help you with orientation tonight, but my boys are home."

"You enjoy your night with your boys," Jennifer said, hugging her back. No other manager ever offered to help at orientation. "I'll be fine with just Austin there to see how mortified I am."

"Oh, just make sure to drop your papers and bend over a lot!" Selena said with a boisterous laugh of goodbye.

Jennifer rolled her eyes again and got back to work, trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach with the knowledge that Austin had asked about her. So much for getting it together.