Chapter 37

"Oh no," Jennifer said pushing the door open and running into the dark, leaving Austin to trail after her.

"What is it?" Austin said looking ready to attack an intruder.

"My cat," she said rushing into the bedroom where she could hear Zack loudly gasping for air. "He's having an asthma attack,"

There sprawled on her messy bed, was her cat on his side with his belly heaving. His mouth hanging open, his eyes dilated, she rushed to him. She had seen him like this only once before, years ago, when she hadn't known that he had asthma and just thought he couldn't get a hairball out. The doctor had said if she hadn't gotten him there so quickly, he would have been dead. Now she had no idea how long he'd been like this, but his breath rasped in the silent apartment. She scooped him into her arms and ran to find his carrier.

"What can I do?"

Jennifer had forgotten Austin was even there and jumped before then giving him directions.

"Help me find his carrier in the kitchen closet," the words were barely out of her mouth before he was in the pantry digging through the bottom and pulling out the carrier.

She gently put Zack inside, stroking his head and telling him it was going to be okay. She didn't really know if it was going to be okay, but she had to say the words to clear her brain and steady her hands. "Thanks. I have to take him to the emergency vet now. I'm sorry about the end of our date."

"Don't be silly. I'm driving you," Austin said like he wouldn't take no for an answer. They quickly moved out of the apartment and back into his car. She gave him simple directions to the emergency vet, and she held the cat carrier to her chest.

This is what I get. Jennifer couldn't push the thought out of her mind. She had chosen boots for a date over her cat's health. Over her cat who had been there when Eric had dumped her and who had moved with her to a new city. Her cat was her best buddy and loved to snuggle with her every night when she watched her shows. She'd been willing to sacrifice him for a chance at some silly romantic happiness.

"Right here," Jennifer said tightly as Austin whipped the car into the emergency vet's parking lot. He held the door open as she rushed the cat inside. "He's having an asthma attack." They were the only words that Jennifer could get out before she started to sob. She handed him off to the technician and knew that they would give him oxygen and only hoped that she wasn't too late. Austin came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. She turned to bury her face in his chest.

"Has this happened before?" he asked when her sobs had subsided into silent tears.

"Once," she said swallowing hard to get the words out. "I knew he needed a new inhaler, but I didn't get it. I was waiting till the weekend when my credit card closed. I don't have pet insurance and the price of inhalers without insurance is outrageous."

"Oh, Jennifer, that's awful," he said continuing to hold her.

One of the technicians appeared and said they could come back to see the cat. Austin released Jennifer and she walked back slowly behind the technician

"Is he okay?" she asked the stone-faced woman.

"Yes, he made it," the technician said as she let them into the room. "He'll have to stay overnight for observation, but you should be able to pick him up tomorrow."

Jennifer entered the room and saw Zack Morris with his little kitty oxygen mask on. She started to pet him.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered in his ear as her tears rolled slowly down onto his fur. "I'm so sorry, little buddy." She was immediately transported back to putting her cat to sleep in high school. She had always loved animals, but cats were her favorite. She'd had Lily since she was two. The calico had been with her through her parents' divorce and high school. Lily was often the only one home with her after her brother had gone off to college and her parents worked late. She was the one that snuggled Jennifer when she was lonely. She was the one that made it so Jennifer knew she would have a lifetime of cats. Now she felt like she had not only let Zack down but let Lily down, too. In her grief, Jennifer almost forgot Austin was there.

"I can help you with the money for the inhaler," he said tentatively petting the cat, who gave him a suspicious look.

"No, I can afford it. I just need to get my priorities straight," Jennifer said not wanting to leave Zack but ready for the day to be over. The technician lifted the cat into an oxygen chamber, and he looked comfortable. The nurses would take good care of him through the night. Jennifer didn't even want to think about how much the emergency care bill was going to be. She let Austin lead her back to the car. He walked her to her apartment door. The butterflies and excitement of the evening decimated. She opened the door and forced herself to face him before she went inside.

"Thank you for everything," she said gazing up into his eyes and noticing he had been almost as upset as she was. "I'm sorry it ended like this."

"Don't ever be sorry, Jennifer," Austin said taking a step closer to her and brushing her hair from her eyes again. She must have looked a fright, but she would never know it from the way he gazed at her. He seemed ready to take her in his arms and try to make everything go away. "I meant what I said about the inhaler or even the bill for tonight."

"No, it's my responsibility," Jennifer said taking a step back. She needed to think. To decide if what they were doing was worth it.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said almost as a question.

She hadn't even thought about going to work the next day. She doubted that Cynthia would think a pet emergency was worthy of not coming in. She wasn't going to worry about it tonight. Instead, she said, "Yeah, okay."

Austin stood on the porch looking reluctant to go. She stepped inside and switched on the light, seeing Kelly Kapowski waiting for her in the dark living room. "Bye."

"Bye." He finally walked to his car.

She shut the door without waiting for him to drive away. She turned the deadbolt. Staring at her other cat, she started to sob again. "I'm so sorry, Kelly. We almost lost Zack."