Chapter 38

After hardly any sleep, Jennifer rolled over to find Kelly nestled up to her and the guilt about Zack came flooding back. She picked up her cell phone and dialed the vet's office. She was informed that he was doing well and that she could pick him up after work. She sighed at the thought of going to work. She didn't want to see anyone, not even Austin. She had spent most of the night tossing and turning and thinking about how she had gotten so far off track. How had she been willing to throw everything she had worked away for a guy? A guy, who although cute, she barely knew. She was nuts to think that she could keep the relationship a secret. Especially, after going through something like what they went through last night. How would she ever look at him in the store as if he was just a casual friend? Kelly nudged her into petting her soft fur, promising to be a better pet mom.

Jennifer texted Cynthia to let her know why she would be late. She was surprised that Cynthia texted back to take as much time as she needed. Jennifer decided since the weather was nice maybe she would go for a run. Runs always helped her clear her head. Looking for her sneakers, she realized she left them in Austin's car. That's what I get for putting my sexual needs over everything else. She dug into her closet and pulled out a beat-up pair of shoes that felt comfortable and familiar. She gave Kelly a kiss and went out into the warm cool sunshine.

As she ran, she didn't listen to any music or a podcast as she usually did. She allowed herself to think. And all thoughts led back to one thing. She had to end things with Austin. Like she told Selena, who knows if they were really meant to be? They could wait to find out in a couple of months or even if it had to be a couple of years. She needed to make the right decisions for her future. And she wasn't sure that Austin was one of them.

She felt much clearer-headed when she returned from her run, if not better. She didn't know if she would ever feel better about telling the guy that she had serious feelings for, that she couldn't see him. She only hoped that he would understand and not make this too hard. Showered and dressed for work, she gave Kelly another kiss and promised to bring Zack home to her. When she got to the office, Cynthia was already there

"There you are. How is Dylan McKay?" Cynthia said, glancing up from her desk.

"Who?" Jennifer asked, confused.

"Your cat," Cynthia said taking off her glasses and looking perplexed.

"Oh, his name is Zack Morris," Jennifer said setting down her bag and feeling suddenly very exhausted.

"I'm sorry. I knew he was from some 90s show," Cynthia said looking contrite. "I'm glad you're here, and if you need to leave early it's okay."

"Thank you," Jennifer said her voice almost breaking. Cynthia had never been so nice to her. But then she'd never almost lost her best friend. "I think I'd rather just be working for now."

"Sounds good," Cynthia said. She shuffled through some papers on her desk and handed one to Jennifer. "Look at this. I'm going to have to do an investigation in this store now."

It was a copy of the new policy. And on it was written 'you just have no idea' in red pen. Jennifer glanced up at Cynthia who looked duly shocked. "When did you get this?"

"It was in my mailbox this morning," Cynthia said taking it back and stuffing it into a large folder. "And after my conversation with Ralph this week, I have some digging to do."

Jennifer jumped at the knock at the door. She looked over her shoulder and saw Austin standing in the doorway. Guilt smashed her in the face again. She felt guilty over Zack, guilty over lying to Selena, and now even guilty over keeping their relationship from Cynthia. She knew what she had to do.