Chapter 19

"Jenny!" Selena filled the office doorway. Jennifer sighed. Her nerves were frayed and all she wanted to do was get out of there. Selena had an oblivious grin on her face. "Were you trying to sneak out of the store without talking to me again?"

"I'm sorry, Selena, but I'm just so tired after a long day that I need to go home."

"No way. I invited the Dragon Lady out to dinner tonight for you. We are going out," Selena said as she wrapped her arm around Jennifer. "You owe me!"

"I really can't tonight," she said trying to wrestle out of Selena's grasp. "It's been a long day with Cynthia, and I really just want to go home and watch Netflix with my cats."

"You don't watch Netflix, you chill to Netflix," Selena said raising her eyebrows, being silly. "Just come out with me and Todd and Austin for a few drinks and you'll have so much fun."

Cynthia's advice was echoing in her brain as Jennifer tried to think of another way to get Selena to leave her alone. Exactly something that an HR manager would do. She had to be professional.

"Thanks for the invite, but I have another huge day tomorrow," Jennifer said trying not to feel guilty at her friend's disappointed expression. "Maybe next weekend."

"I have my boys," Selena said shaking her head. "Please come tonight. Just for one drink. Austin asked that you come."

"He did?" Jennifer hated how desperate she sounded but the thought of him telling Selena he wanted her there seemed too good to be true. "Or are you just saying that to get me to go?"

"I would never do such a thing," Selena declared, outraged, but then ruined the effect by laughing. "He asked Todd if you were coming and, of course, Todd said yes."

"Arrogant jerk," Jennifer said, and Selena nodded but then they laughed again.

She was torn. Her head matter-of-factly said, "No, go home and get ready to be an HR manager and make your college dreams come true." But her heart screamed, "Live a little! It's the store manager, for goodness sake. You're building future relationships throughout the district. And you're not an HR manager yet!" She sighed.

"Yes, you're coming!" It was sad that her friend knew a sigh of resignation meant that she was giving in. She would need to work on better masking her feelings from now on. But tonight, was her last night. To be free and have fun. She would allow herself one fun, not crazy, but fun night before she buckled down and became the ultimate professional HR person.

They collected their cars from the Peterson's parking lot and went over to Bar Louis's. Once inside, Jennifer realized that Selena had not mentioned on purpose it was karaoke night. She was instantly horrified at the thought that her friend might drag her up to sing 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'. Selena loved karaoke while Jennifer would purposely avoid any bar in the area that had it. She would have to check Bar Louis's website more closely from now on. Todd's face lit up at a chance to get even more attention and he waved them to a table near a temporary stage. Shuffling out of their coats, they settled onto the chairs, and Jennifer was brave enough to look at Austin. She figured since he could barely make a phone call for an interview, he, too, would be just as miserable at the thought of the idea of karaoke. But he looked relaxed and cool as always taking off his jacket and setting it next to hers. Jennifer picked up the bar menu trying to think of something that would get her loosened up enough that she would stop panicking over the karaoke.

"What do you like?" Austin asked. "Margarita?"

"Yes, all the margaritas!" Selena shouted next to Jennifer over the current singer. "Order me lime on the rocks."

Selena popped out of her chair and grabbed Todd by the hand and yanked him toward the karaoke machine. They were putting their names on the next song. Jennifer couldn't wait to hear what they came up with. She watched Selena not let go of Todd's hand and that they stood maybe a little too close for a married man and a gorgeous woman, who claimed she wanted no drama.