Chapter 28

"When did they add the new policy?" Jennifer got up the courage to ask Cynthia as they went back to the HR office.

"Friday afternoon," Cynthia said as she dropped her materials onto the desk and collapsed into the chair. It was the first time Jennifer had seen her almost relaxed at work. Cynthia had been more stressed about the training than she'd let on. Jennifer sat across from her and tried to mimic her boss's calm posture. Cynthia went on, "It's something that Valerie felt strongly about and so did Todd's boss. I think it will be good for the store."

"Sure," Jennifer said studying Cynthia's face to see if she knew anything about Austin and her. The older woman didn't seem interested in what Jennifer thought of the new policy at all. Heck, she probably thought Jennifer couldn't land someone in the store, let alone Austin, even if she tried. "I'm going to file this paperwork and then run out to the mall for lunch."

"I'm going to leave you to it," Cynthia said as she immediately began packing up her things. "I still have to get back out to the St. Clair's store this afternoon. Thank you for your help on the training and Todd was surprisingly cordial."

"Sure," Jennifer said again entirely unsure if Todd was being cordial or facetious. But she decided not to explore it further because she was ready for Cynthia to go. She needed a chance to think. She knew she had been walking the line with Austin the past couple of days but now the line was clearly drawn, and she was on the wrong side of it. She didn't know how much she was willing to risk again. She knew Selena and Todd obviously thought it was no big deal, but they also played fast and loose with other company policies that Jennifer would never dream of violating.

"I'll be back tomorrow," Cynthia's said at the door. "If anyone has any questions about the training or needs any follow-up that you feel you can't handle, just call me."

"I will," Jennifer said sighing and settling back into the chair. As soon as Cynthia was out of sight, Jennifer sat up and ran around to the computer. She went on the corporate website and quickly found the brand-new sexual harassment training policy involving relationships. She read it word for word and understood it to mean exactly what Cynthia had said. Austin and she could not work in the same store while dating.

Feeling discouraged and confused, she decided to take her lunch early. From the escalator, she could see Austin and their eyes met. He looked as concerned as she felt. She was almost to cosmetics when she heard Selena.

"Jenny!" Selena called her from over by the Mac counter where Destiny was also working. Jennifer had no choice but to go back and talk to her friend. She prayed to herself that Selena would not bring up Austin in front of Destiny.

"Some fun training, huh?" Selena said sounding not at all nonchalant. "What is it going to mean for all of us?"

"It means we will follow the rules," Jennifer answered.

"Oh, honey, sometimes even rules can't stop certain things," Selena said with a knowing look in her eye.

"What kind of new rules?" Destiny said obviously not picking up on the tension between them.

"Just a new policy that will be rolled out to the associates in a couple of days," Jennifer said before Selena added something that associates were not supposed to know yet. "I will be addressing it next week in orientation and then there will be a memo for the whole store."

"Ooo, sounds juicy," Destiny said raising her eyebrows and causing a couple of the other cosmetic managers to listen in. Jennifer saw Shantell appearing at home next to Betty in Estee Lauder.

"Not really," Jennifer said to stop rumors from getting started. There had already been a policy long in place that managers could not date associates. Managers not being allowed to date each other would give the associates another thing to titter about amongst themselves.

"Oh well, then I'll just have to wait and see," Destiny said good-naturedly and the other cosmetic managers nodded their heads.

Jennifer quickly ducked away from Selena before her friend could ask any more leading questions. Once in the mall, she had no idea what she wanted for lunch. Nothing sounded good. Forever loneliness in HR at Peterson's was a potent appetite suppressant. She finally decided to grab a Wetzel's pretzel and drown her sorrows in a slushy along with it. Food in hand, she found a secluded seat on the other side of the children's playground. The kids blocked any view of the store, so she was surprised when she heard someone say her name.