Chapter 49

When they could move again, the chill in the air forced them to climb under the covers. She crawled into the crook of his arm, and he kissed the top of her head. Falling into a contented sleep, it was still dark when Jennifer woke to go to the bathroom. She crawled back into the bed and found Austin awake and reaching for her. He mounted her again and they both cried out in ecstasy before falling back to sleep.

The next time they awoke it was morning and the sunlight was streaming in through the shades. Both Zack and Kelly were sound asleep at the bottom of the bed. Jennifer rolled over and studied Austin's face.

She didn't feel a single pang of guilt. All she felt was joy. It was like there had been a hole in her life for years that she hadn't noticed or known needed to be filled. But now that Austin had fixed it, she could breathe again. She could live again. She could be happy and not worry about what next bad thing was going to happen. She could get the HR manager position or not. She could get tuition reimbursement or not. She would be fine as long as he was by her side. She gently touched his cheek, but he didn't wake. She was beyond happy. She wanted to gaze at him and fantasize about their life together for as long as possible. It was Sunday and she had nowhere to go, although she had occasionally attended church in the mornings when she felt particularly lonely or lost. She couldn't even recall what those times felt like now, deciding to bask in the comfort of the bed. She sighed and lay back on the pillow closing her eyes and imagining what their life could be like.

"Good morning," she heard Austin's voice, and it startled her. "You were awake, weren't you?"

"Yeah, I just didn't know you were," Jennifer said smiling and lying on her side so she could look at him again. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," Austin said also lying on his side to face her. He was still naked, although she had put on a shirt at some point. The sheets covered enough that she couldn't see everything she'd experienced the night before. "How about you?"

"Good," Jennifer said, not allowing herself to be shy. "Last night was great."

"Yeah, it was," Austin said, kissing her. He pulled her on top of him and she knew he was ready to go again. With his stamina, she knew what they were doing all day. She reached for a condom from her drawer, thanking God again that she hadn't thrown them all out when she left Eric. After sliding one on Austin, she rode him and worked up an appetite for breakfast. Her orgasm was even stronger than the night before as she pulled him over the edge with her.

"The goat," Austin said as she lay back down next to him.

"What?" she said giggling. "What are you talking about?"

"The goat: the greatest of all time," he said pulling her to his side.

"Oh, okay, I didn't know if you were stroking out or getting kinky," she laughed as she ran her hand over his chest.

"Oh, you'll know if I'm getting kinky," he said tweaking her nipple.

"Yeah, it'll be great," Jennifer said with a laugh, and she tumbled out of the bed. "Let's have breakfast."

She padded into the kitchen in the T-shirt and made an easy breakfast of eggs and some sausages she found in the freezer. She plopped it down on the table along with some orange juice and he said thank you with a kiss. It was what their weekends could be. Waking up late, making love, and enjoying a leisurely breakfast together. All they needed was his newspaper, her crossword, and they would be all set.

"What are you doing today?" Jennifer asked as they finished breakfast hoping that he could stay.

"I was thinking ... you," Austin said coming up behind her in the kitchen already ready to go again. They spent the rest of the day making love and watching TV and laughing and making love again. Jennifer had never been in a relationship that was so easy. Eric had been an okay lover, but he had always been ready to be on to the next thing once he was satisfied. He never followed up with her needs as Austin did. Austin was patient and kind and gave her more orgasms in the last twenty-four hours than she had in her whole life with a guy. She was disappointed when the sun began to set, and she knew it was time for him to go home. And time to go back to their real lives.

"I don't want to go back to lying," Jennifer said suddenly as they finished eating the pizza they ordered when neither one of them wanted to get dressed to go out for food.

"You're not lying," Austin said earnestly. "You're just not offering up the truth."

"I know but it just feels so wrong, and this is anything but wrong," she said setting down her pizza, having lost her appetite.

"It's only a week until you're a manager," he said trying to make her feel better.

"Yeah, I'm still technically underneath you so it's even worse," she said not having thought about that implication yet. Although afforded the same perks as managers, glamorous things such as overriding the register or using the office fridge, assistants were officially hourly employees and not executives. The new rules simply added attention to the fact that Austin and she should not be dating.

"How could you being underneath me ever be a bad thing?" he said, looking ready to go again.

"Or I just tell Cynthia the truth. I almost have the job." Jennifer said, ignoring the ache between her legs. She was sore from all the lovemaking but was ready to go again with only a glance from him. "I could explain that we are just now falling in love and that if I got the job, it would be fine."

"No way; she'll never believe that," Austin said snapping to attention. "From what I've heard she's the Dragon Lady and she's looking for reasons to take people down."

"That's not necessarily true," she said feeling a weird need to defend Cynthia after her boss had been so helpful through the application process. "She's just someone who sticks to the rules."

"And that is why you shouldn't ask her to bend them," he pointed out as he stood up and lifted her to him. He bent down and kissed her, making all her problems go away for just another hour. He carried her into the bedroom and placed her gently on the bed. "I will make this good enough to last us until you get the job."

"Thinking pretty highly of your abilities, aren't you?" Jennifer said but even as she did her whole body was flushing.

"I'm just basing my stats on the number of times I've got you to scream my name," Austin said but didn't give her a chance to respond before plunging deep inside her.